Friday, April 21, 2006

Coaster Boy

This morning I did a run down to Movie World on the Gold Coast. The main intention was to get to ride on the Superman Escape rollercoaster, which I haven't been on although we've been down there twice since it opened. So I jumped in the car early on my last day of holidays, and dashed away to have a final morning of pleasure and leisure, much to Anth's disdain.

I must admit I am a bit of a rollercoaster freak. It is a little frustrating that here in Australia we have such weird ride control options. For example, with the Superman ride they make a huge deal about not having anything in your pockets. No phones. No Wallets. No change. Nothing. They don't go as far as patting you down, but they are vigilant about it. I couldn't even wear my glasses, so I had them shoved in my pockets hidden as best as possible. I also think that they could have improved their theming for the ride queue as well, but I'm a traditionalist. Disney does this best at some of their parks.

The ride itself is excellent for a non-looping coaster. Made by Intamin, it's what's known as an accelerator coaster. You enter through the Metropolis Subway Station, and as the ride starts a simulated earthquake takes place. This theming is quite good. You then hit the launch area as Superman arrives, telling you he'll "push you out of there", or words to that affect! That's when it goes from zero to 100kmh in 2 seconds, and you really feel it as you're launched up and over the main drop. You then go through a series of lifts and drops before returning to the main station. All up, it takes about a minute and a half.

Superman has been themed in a number of U.S. coasters, and this one isn't quite up to some of those. The Superman Escape at Six Flags Magic Mountain is like the Tower of Terror here at Dreamworld. Six Flag's Ohio have the Superman Ultimate Escape, which is one I'd also like to go on! For the record, the Roller Coaster Database currently lists 13 Superman rollercoasters worldwide.

I rode three times, and also fitted in a shot on Lethal Weapon as well, although it was hot and quite crowded. I only stayed for about 2 hours. So, now I've had my fix, and I should be right for at least another few months. If only I could convince Ethan to get on these with me, but as a kid I was always petrified of these rides. I guess I never grew up, I just got less scared!

Ciao for Now, Coaster Boy Angry Dad.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

I love a good roller coaster. Charlotte has just recently started to enjoy them. Toby is a little more reserved (at least for now).

9:52 pm  
Blogger j.sterling said...

FUN!!!!!!!!!!!! i love rollies!!!!!! they kick ass!

3:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home