Thursday, January 26, 2006

Australia Day

"I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains..."

So said Dorothea Mackellar in her classic Australian poem, My Country. I count myself and my family blessed that we live in such a wonderful place as Australia. Australia Day can mean many things. At the moment we're being pumped with good ol' Sam Kekovich eating lamb, or alternatively we can listen to Triple J's annual top 100. An Australian, Bernard Fanning, got the Number 1 song for the year with "Wish you Well". If only I could get the chords for the guitar just right on the song (there is a wacky 6th or 7th in there somewhere!)

I was fortunate when I grew up that we had a very multicultural neighbourhood. We had English (as in from England), Greek and Italian neighbours down in Melbourne. Up here in Brisbane, things are a bit less of a melting pot, but there are other influences with many islanders and Kiwis. In the end, regardless off race, colour or creed, we are all at our heart Aussies once you live here.

As it was a national holiday, we did what most people do today, which is to laze around, enjoy the sunshine, watch the Australian Open tennis, or the One Day Cricket. We had a swim in the pool, and took the kids out for a bike ride as the afternoon cooled down a bit. We didn't have a BBQ, but that was probably our only break from a true Aussie experience. I spoke to my sister in the U.S. and told her she had to impress on her family there to uphold the flame of our proud nation.
Now if I could only stop Aidan from saying "You Ess Ay, You Ess Ay" whenever he cheers for something...

Ciao for Now, Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi Angry Dad.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Go Aidan! hahaha....you knew I would say that :)

11:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home