Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Theoretical Parenting

I had an interesting night last night. We had a friend, Brooke, over for his birthday. As it was his birthday we decided we would take him out to the local tavern for dinner. Normally, the tavern serves reasonably decent pub style meals, and they have just added a "Gloria Jean's" coffee outlet, so their deserts and coffees are also quite nice. Not last night. The service was atrocious, and to top it off, we had to wait for close to an hour for our meals. Brooke's meal came out cold, and my meal of fish and chips managed to repeat on me for most of the rest of the evening, resulting in a lack of overnight sleep, and the hot/cold sweats at around 3:00am for two hours! Probably not a place we'll be going back to for a little while.

The tie in to Theoretical Parenting is that Brooke, being a single middle aged male, has his own opinions on how children should be raised, and is quite vocal about it. Here is a quote from his blog about our discussion on one aspect of parenting, relating to how our children eat:


I raised with Wes the fact that I think his children drink too much coke and soft drinks (our society is too fat and unhealthy and so I don't like to see this happening before my eyes). He said that its the sugar, not the acid in the coke, and Coke doesn't have as much as processed OJ (I said the opposite). He said that processed OJ is worse than coke. Maybe so, but feed them fresh OJ. I said I don't understand how difficult it would be to raise children, but I would lead by example from the start - good food, drink and exercise. Sorry to say these thing, but you know I like to say what I think and feel. I apologise Wes and Anth as I know you are likely to read this post.


I agree that our children probably could eat better. I also think that it is none of his fecking business on how I should raise my children, unless I was physically or mentally abusing them. The Apology will largely go ignored, as will most of his regular diatribe, which doesn't mean he's not still my friend - we just know what he's like.

Both Anthea and I believe that we do quite a good job in raising our children, and given that our eldest child is intellectually disabled, we have more on our hands than most. To have a person who has no real clue on how we work with our kids comment indirectly to us without right of reply is offensive. This is based on some obtuse observations, by someone who also does not have to live the way we do. Hence, this is my right of reply!

Coke and soft drinks are bad for children and adults alike. This article (although I am unsure of its true validity) indicates it is both the sugar and acid which make it bad. As is the majority of processed Orange Juice. Anyone who has children knows that kids are also highly selective on their food choices, and that they go through phases. One week they love something like tomatoes, then the next they hate it. They have heavy influences not just from us as parents, but from their own social peers at school or pre-school, and from television and advertising. Regardless of how great a parent you are, it is hard to shield them from these things. We attempt to provide our children with choices for their food, and admittedly, we too enjoy things like Coke and Orange Juice - so it would be hypocritical for us to tell our children they can't have these things in moderation, when we also have them.

When I was a young single man I naively and ignorantly subscribed to Theoretical Parenting ideals. The reality is somewhat different.

Ciao for Now, Angry Reality Dad.

3 Comments:

Blogger National Enquirer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:44 am  
Blogger National Enquirer said...

Hi W and A (I changed your name in my Blog),

I didn't say you were bad parents, just that I think they drink too much Coke and soft drink. I spoke ignorantly as a non-parent and I'm sure I'll find it just as difficult.

I actually think you have been the most amazing, and most patient parents. The work that needs to be put into Aidey whilst managing the other 2 boys is outstanding. If parents were listed on a Stock Market, then I'd have money on you as one of my Rule Makers.

7:52 am  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

You know, there is always "something" we as parents could do better. Not enough of one thing too much of another but in the great scheme of things, raising kids would be much easier without the comments of those that have not experienced it for themselves. Reminds me of an old cliche`:

Those who can do....those who can't teach

1:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home