Sunday, January 15, 2006

Gypped

This post is entitled Gypped. I don't know if I've spelled it right. It could have also been titled "The perils of last minute holiday accommodation". Why do I feel gypped? When selecting our holiday accommodation, I basically ran with the main criteria of It's peak season, what the hell is available? The follow up criteria related to having two rooms so that we wouldn't have to share with the older kids, and that it had a decent pool to swim in. In the end, we chose the place we were staying mainly on facilities focused on the kids - which the resort we're staying at has. What I stupidly forgot all about was air-conditioning.

Queensland during summer is hot. Damn Hot. And Humid. Damned Humid. So I of course assumed that we would have air-conditioning in a four star resort. Alas, when I walked in the room, within 30 seconds I knew there would be no air-conditioning. Lack of air-conditioning has been a common theme already this year. My wife followed me in saying

"You knew it didn't have air conditioning, didn't you. It said so on the Internet..."
"No I didn't. What a gyp. We paid good money for this."
"I think you can get it for an extra $8 a night."

With that comment, I stormed over to reception.
"Do you have any air-conditioned rooms we can shift to?"
"Sorry sir, none of the rooms are air-conditioned."
"But it said on the Internet..."
"No sir, I can tell you now that none of the resort rooms here are air-conditioned..."
She then went on to explain about lack of electricity, how owner's wanted it, how people complained. Damn straight they'd complain. Even as I'm sitting here typing this I'm getting a lovely sheen of sweat, and it's 9:00pm at night!

Of course, Angry Dad came out pretty much straight away as I stormed back to the room. Everyone got yelled at about how peeved I was not to have air-con. There really was only one solution, which involved going straight to the pool to cool off. Fortunately, the pool here is excellent, fully themed, with two lagoons, a toddlers pool, and two spas. On reflection, I understand that most people who come up here don't actually spend that much time in their rooms. They are usually on the beach, at the pool, or at the various theme parks around the area. That said, its unlikely I'd ever want to stay here again. They probably wouldn't want me given that my solution to a hot room is to flounce around in just jocks to avoid getting too hot.

That was Saturday, and Sunday hasn't been too bad, although living in close proximity together certainly has tested family bonds today. I think the only one who hasn't complained has been the baby, except when I left him to fall off the couch onto the floor. He's just started rolling and whilst my wife and the other boys had gone down to the pool, I was left to look after him. After I managed to get him to sleep on my lap and a good 30 minutes had passed, toilet urges called. So I carefully put him on the couch on a pillow. I even laid a pillow on the floor on the off chance he rolled off. I went off, let nature call, then went to the fridge to grab some grapes. As I looked over the edge of the kitchen bench, I saw a little hand lift up. Too slow, Angry Dad. I bolted around the bench and got to the couch just as he rolled off, of course missing the floor pillow, and coming down on his back and head on the floor. The howls started, and it was another 30 minutes before he even came close to settling, at which point Anth came back and yelled at me for completing the trifecta of having all three of our children neglected in similar manners over the years (ie - falling off couches after me leaving them for food or bodily functions).

Ciao for Now, Angry remoresful Dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home