Thursday, January 12, 2006

Holiday Accommodation in Peak Season

Have you ever tried to book holiday accommodation during peak season. In Australia, that season generally runs through Christmas through to the end of January. Previously, we've taken holidays outside this timeframe, where you can get great accommodation deals through the holiday sites like Wotif and Lastminute. This time, because Ethan is due to start his first year of School on the 23rd January, and Aidan is also back at school on this date, we decided that we should have our holidays earlier. You know what that means, peak season.

Peak Season is a free for all with the hotels and resorts. They jack up their prices by up to twice the going rate. In our modern capitalist society this is fair enough, and I understand the economics of supply and demand. All of us rat race suckers don't really have any choice, and its also guided by our school systems and their holiday time frames. When I went to find out what was available down on the Gold Coast, it quickly became obvious that the great deal I got last year just out of season wasn't going to be available this year. After a few days searching the Net, I decided in my frustration, to ring a travel agent. Here's how the conversation went.

"Hi, I'm Tamara, how can I help you?"
"Hi, I'd like some accommodation for the 14th through to the 21st. I understand you represent the Bel Air. We've stayed there before and would like to stay there again. I checked the internet and I was wondering if I could get a better price."
"Certainly sir, let me just check for you. How many of you would you like to book for?"
"A family of five, two adults, two kids and one infant"
Pause
"Sir, there is no accommodation available at that resort, for a two bedroom apartment. We have one bedroom apartments, but they only sleep 3."
"Well, that wouldn't be any good, as I need it for a family. Tell me, the Internet is saying that there are two bedroom apartments available, should I ring the resort direct?"
"We represent the resort sir, and there are no rooms available?"
"But what if I rang the resort."
"We are the resort sir."
"Yes, but aren't you really a booking agency?"
"Yes, but we represent the resort."
"But the Internet says that there are rooms available."
"The Internet won't tell you availability, we don't put that information up."
"Okayyy."
"You can try an Internet site if you like sir, but I can guarantee you won't be able to get a room. Goodbye Sir."
Suffice to say, Tamara was right. Pity she had to be such a bitch about it. I then rang the Gold Coast Tourism Bureau who were far more helpful. They did a search for me, and found an appropriate place. We're staying at the Diamond Beach Resort, which we have wanted to stay in before, so that should be good. It's Kid Friendly, so hopefully that will keep them occupied whilst I laze on my big fat behind in the pool!

Ciao for Now, Angry Dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home