Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Hi 5 and Lazy Kids

The children's group "Hi 5" are an Australian musical act that we should be proud of. The aim of Hi-5 is to cater for a wide range of young children, acknowledging the span of cognitive abilities and learning styles. I know that it works for our kids, and I'm glad that when the kids actually watch them on TV, they don't just watch, they get up and mimic what the team does. However, for us, the popularity of Hi 5 does have its drawbacks.

One of these is with our eldest child Aidan. Aidan is intellectually disabled, and is tentatively diagnosed with global developmental delay. He is a happy, active, and socially outgoing 8 year old. He does have his quirks. This evening, when we went to the local Kmart, one of our regular "arguments" occurred. Hi 5 DVDs are prevalent in the DVD section. We only need to walk past a display, and he will have grabbed a DVD and start saying things like "Hi 5 for Christmas", or "My Hi 5 DVD". I'm trying to teach him that he can't have it every time we go to the shops, and there is no fun in dragging a screaming, crying little boy throughout the shop, who also will then tell everyone he meets that he "Wants Hi 5". The only way around this is to try to get some other distraction into his head to try to steer his mind away from it.

As I just outlined, Hi 5 does get kids out and about. I had an interesting situation with a colleague walking back to my car after work. We passed some kids on electric scooters. This of course started a rant from my colleague about how we train kids now from an early age to be lazy, and how when he was a boy you had to push your scooter. In some respects, he's right. Why can't we have our kids on push scooters to get them to exercise more, when we have a real and growing obesity problem with our children? That said, if I could have ridden an electric scooter back to the car, guaranteed I would have been on it!

Ciao for Now, Angry Dad.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Hi5 - wonder if that is anything like our Wiggles? All I can say - is thank goodness my kids are out of that stage (I had my days of those programs and I have to say I am not sure how I survive..haha just kidding). Now of course that doesn't mean that although we have moved on to other things that the kids (especially the little one) seems to think they "need" something everytime we go to the store - I wasn't like that as a child - or maybe I chose to block it out...LOL

10:52 pm  
Blogger Wes said...

Just for your reference, they're definitely OUR Wiggles. The Wiggles are Australian Owned and Bred. In fact, I went and saw Jeff when he was in the Cockroaches, a psuedo ska band back in the early 80's!

9:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home