Friday, January 13, 2006

Chips and Chops and Eggs...

Friday night is normally take-away night. We usually have Fish and Chips from the local shops, who we have established quite a rapport with. Actually, it is Aidan who really established the rapport, but that is another story. Tonight, as we are going on holidays tomorrow, we had the choice of either cooking up the mid-loin lamb chops I had bought earlier in the week, or I could go a get take-away and leave the chops to mould up. In the end, the toss up was that it would take about 20 minutes to cook, or 30 minutes to go the T/A route, so home cooking won.

This lead to a household discussion about what to have. As it is traditionally a "take it easy" night, we decided to resurrect one of our old dinner traditions. This one goes by the name of "Chips and Chops and Eggs", or in other terms, an "Old Fashioned Fry Up". Basically, you fry or grill the b'jeebers out of the meat, deep fry some potatoes cut into strips (chips), and add butter to a fry pan and fry up your eggs. Anyone on a diet is probably cringing about now. Add in some toast with butter, perhaps some grated cheese, and there you have it - an Angry Dad staple!

I realise that the modern Australian diet has largely gone to ruin, and eating like this certainly isn't giving a good impression to our children, but it does highlight some of the good fried food groups doesn't it? On other days we actually do have meals with salad and/or vegetables, so we're not all that bad. Getting the kids to actually eat them is a whole other matter, although I know as a child I had distinct aversions to peas and brussel sprouts. I know Aidan "Not Like Eggs", and Ethan has his moments with beans ("Ewwwww - I'm not eating That!"). I do, however, use those other old dinner traditions of "No desert if you don't eat your greens", or "You're NOT leaving the table until I see how much you've eaten."

So there you have it, do what Elvis did and fry to live! Ciao for Now, Angry Dad.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Sounds yummy to me!! Oh and btw...you my friend have been tagged! Go to my blog to play :)

11:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home