Friday, January 27, 2006

Baby in the Bed

I thought that since this was meant, in part, to be a blog about parenting, that I should raise some of the parenting questions which plague me from time to time. My current concern relates to the Baby in the Bed.

Callum has been sleeping in our main bed almost since birth. This isn't anything special, as both of the older boys did this. I had a look at the Super Nanny (my idol) and Bub Hub web sites, but it wasn't until I went to Google and did some specific searches that I got a bit more guidance on whether the parenting community thought this was a good idea or not. Basically, its still divided! I found an article on The Pros and Cons of Co-Sleeping, which in its pros section, confirms my feelings on the subject, and most of the cons are relevant as well!

We did at the start do all the things to get Callum ready to sleep in his own cot on return from the hospital. I even had to go and get new bolts for the cot to put it together again after a four year absence. I think we used it twice before we both thought that we'd get a better night's sleep with him in bed with us. It does work. Since that time, I've pretty much got a full night sleep every night since, and although Anth still wakes up to breast feed, he feeds, its done, and they both fall back straight to sleep. We're both conscious of him enough that we don't roll on him, so it is working for all of us.

If you want to know the Cons, have a look at the article and you'll get the picture. I'm not too fussed about the wriggly baby issue, although I am a bit worried about the transition phase which will probably happen soon. Then again, it could last another 12 months yet!

Ciao for Now, Angry Dad.

1 Comments:

Blogger National Enquirer said...

Yes, a tough one. I understand instinctively the two main points in the article.
* Sharing makes the baby comfortable with intimacy and closeness with people.
* On the flip-side - it may mean that the baby will only feel comfortable sleeping in this way which a) will make the parents' life alot of fun :), and b) might turn the baby into sook or very reliant on his/her parents for attention and affection.

11:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home