Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Sage Advice of Billy Connolly

Last night on Enough Rope, Andrew Denton had Billy Connolly on as a guest interviewee. The full transcript can be viewed here. I'd like to quote part of it concerning the Buddhist philosophy of "Learn what you sould be doing, then do it".

The number of people I've met who are doing things they don't like and it's making them really, you know... The number of guys I knew when I worked on the Clyde who hated their job, didn't like their wife that much and didn't like the place where they lived. And I thought, how can you do this every day? But you would be astonished at the number of people who do that, every day of their lives. And, the whole trick is, I would say to my children when you're going along the road and you're at the library or wherever you are, watch what you're drawn to. Watch the type of shops, the windows you always hang out at. Just listen to yourself and see what you're being drawn to and don't choose a career. You know let it happen to you. It'll choose you.


Now I know I've bitched and moaned about jobs over the years. God knows my colleagues, my family, and my friends have heard me. I should follow Billy's advice myself, so I'm hypocritical if I don't. I play the guitar, am full of useless trivia about movies, which I love to go to, and know a truckload about crap TV. I've always loved performing, although I'm naturally quite reserved. Although I'm not the fittest person going around, I love the gym, and was always inspired by Arnold. I also love the beach. I am, however, drawn to technology, knowledge and information classification, and that in part is an area I work in so I can't complain too much.

What more sage advice is there than to follow your heart. To follow the things that your drawn to. To not choose a career, but let it choose you. Hopefully I will always remember Billy's advice and guide my kids in this manner.

Ciao for Now, Big Yin Lovin' Angry Dad.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Good advice - and couldn't come at a better time for me....I am making some life changing decisions here and then you write this......Thanks

2:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home