Wednesday, February 15, 2006

When you've had a bad day

There are some days when you come home from work feeling drained. You have had a long day, and things haven't gone quite as well as you would have hoped. Maybe you hadn't interacted well with people, or you had had some bad news, or the activities you had to do weren't enjoyable - or you thought they were fruitless. Sometimes you think that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

It is nice to get home and be greeted at the door by your kids. They come out happy to see you, and dance around and want to tell you about their day. Unfortunately, if you've had a shit time, sometimes you get selfish and introverted, and can be less attentive than you should be. That sucks, and it isn't a reflection on your kids, but rather a reflection on your own attitudes.

I had a bit of a day like that today. The kids were really good when I got home, and considering that they had to wait up for a later than normal dinner, they were quite exceptional. Anth had to do most of the negotiations with them to get them to the dinner table after I cooked a BBQ up. Of course, the BBQ also decided that its burners wouldn't light properly, so that was another source of angst for the day, and it took longer than expected to cook the meal.

I then was on the phone for a while, so today's total interactions with the children were a quick goodbye in the morning, followed by a grumped up evening. I better improve for tomorrow.

Ciao for Now, Angry Dad.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

I have to agree with you on this one. I got on the plane to leave Charleston and cried and once I landed in MN I was just plain sad and depressed but when I walked in the door and the kids run up to me (even the teenager) and hug me and say they missed me - that definately brought a smile to my face!

11:42 pm  
Blogger Peter said...

The best part is the little whipper snappers don't care if you are grumpy one night. They will be at the door again tomorrow with just as much enthusiasm.
What bothers me is when I get home and the t.v. is on. My daughter turns into a zombie, one day a got home, kissed her on the for head and went in to talk to mom. Half an hour later Merry wonders allowed," Is Daddy Home?" Luckily they don't watch much t.v.

1:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home