Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Somehow kids just know...

With Cyclone Larry affecting the top end of Queensland, we're starting to get some of the tail end of the weather down here in Brisbane. We have some friends up in Cairns, and fortunately they are all safe, if a little worse for wear. Tonight I came home to rain, which is always a welcome relief in sunny Queensland.

I made the mad dash home from work, leaving at 5:00pm to try to get home by 5:50pm. This aim was so that Ethan could go to soccer practice, and I could look after the Appendage and Aidan whilst Anth took him. I was a little late, as with the rain, all Queensland drivers decide that they have to drop their speed down to 40kmh. God help us if it ever snowed here.

I pulled in just before 6:00pm, and thought "Well, I'm not that late that he can't go." Aidan greeted me at the door with "I want to go to soccer" in that lovely whiney voice kids get. Ethan, meanwhile, wasn't dressed for soccer. As soon as he saw me, he burst into tears because I wasn't home early enough for him to go, I had caused the rain, everyone would be angry with him because he was late, I was the cause of world poverty and hunger, I was the reason for war in Iraq... you get the picture. He wasn't going to go to soccer because of it. Anth tried to reason with him that we wouldn't be late. Callum started crying.

You know when your blood starts to boil, and of course, its all about me. To top it off, Aidan had got into chocolate somewhere, so aside from the continual "I want to go to sock-ah" statements, he had chocolate all over his hands, and a chocolate beard all over his face. Once he started groping at me that was it. I dragged him to the shower and threw him in. I told Ethan he better get to soccer and stop sooking about it. I yelled at Callum to shut up. Ok, I didn't yell at the baby, but rest assured Angry Dad came out.

Anth convinced Ethan that he should get ready to go, and as they stepped outside it belted down. There was no way they were going. Just then, the phone rang. It was the soccer coach. Soccer had been cancelled. Once we told Ethan, he harrumphed off to his room, leaving us with "I told you it was cancelled."

Ciao for Now, Angry Angry Dad!

2 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Don't ya hate that.....we as parents get blamed for everything

12:37 am  
Blogger Pete said...

he he he...the old dad is the cause of everything bad hey?

Luckily mine are a little too small to give me lip yet....but i'm sure that will come.

8:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home