Monday, March 13, 2006

Baby on the Belly

I've just finished watching Enough Rope with Andrew Denton. Tonight, he had a thought provoking interview with Bono, of U2 fame. I've been a fan of theirs since the early 80's, and have bought nearly all their albums over the years. Bono spoke predominantly about his time with the band, and his activism, particularly with Bob Geldof.

He did also, however, have an interesting anecdote about parenting. When asked how he found the time to undertake parenting, he responded that his family leads a gypsy lifestyle. His kids and family have spent most of the time on the road with their recent worldwide tour, with the older kids having tutors. In this way, and with the nature of his work, he spends more time with them than most fathers would. He also credited a lot his wife Ali with his family success in this area. He went on to note that he had it easy as a parent, and how difficult it would to be a parent where you left for work at 7:00am, and then may not be home until 9:00pm at night.

Sometimes I resemble that remark. Today, for example, I did manage to leave a bit later at 8:00am, so I got to see the kids in the morning. If I follow the routine I'm supposed to be on, then I am usually out before 6:30am - before they are up. If I get stuck at work, I may not get home until 7:00pm, like tonight. I then dashed off straight away to Tae Kwon Do, where I saw Ethan for perhaps 2 minutes. All up, with the two elder boys today I probably had an hour.

Callum gets more time, because he sleeps with us, and his sleep is still a little irregular. I was up with him this morning, so got to wake up to his smiling face, even though I felt crap. Tonight, we fed the dog together, and went outside and watched her eat as he didn't want to be inside watching telly. We watched Mum play on the computer, then I got to rock him to sleep in my arms, with him eventually spending an hour on my belly whilst I watched Who Wants to be a Millionaire? He probably doesn't consider it quality time, but I sure like it!

Ciao for Now, Live at Red Rocks Angry Dad.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

I miss those times.....but doesn't mean I am gonna have another baby just to get them ....haha

7:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home