Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Soccer Boy

Tonight Ethan had his first practice session for Soccer. Soccer is a great sport for kids. It encourages team play, it gives fitness, and its non contact (except from loopy parents who think that punch ups on the pitch make their kids look better). The only thing I don't get about all these activities is that they are scheduled for between 6:00 and 7:00pm.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist. 6:00pm is dinner time. In our household, that generally means we start cooking dinner around 6:00pm and sit down to eat around 6:30pm. I'm not quite sure how you're meant to work around 6:00pm sports activities. I know I don't like eating before exercise, and the last thing we want is Ethan chucking his guts up during sport because he's full! So we've been going the route of eating after sports. I guess the other way to do it is have him have his dinner as soon as he gets home from school at 4:00pm so it settles.

Over the weekend we bought Ethan his Soccer boots, and Anth said he was excited about going today. He has a uniform as well, so he really got decked out. Our problem was that I had to get out of the city to the suburbs by 6:00pm so we could do "the changeover". The changeover involved me picking up Aidan and Callum and taking them home, whilst Anth stayed to watch Ethan. Aidan didn't want to go home.

Aidan loves to be involved. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the attention span just yet to be anything other than a hindrance in organised team games. I know he really wanted to stay and play when I picked him up. I also know that he cried all the way home, and for another 15 minutes when we got home because he "want to play soccer." I was able to calm him down by making him do cooking with me, but it would be good if we could get him into a team sport as well, although I have no idea what or how!

Ciao for Now, Camry Driving Soccer Angry Dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home