Monday, February 27, 2006

Yoghurt

I was away from home today. I've had to travel to Sydney to talk at a conference. Things often happen when you're away that you aren't enough to make you rush home, but still are enough to make your blood boil. As you would know, I am not a fan of being explicitly told how I should raise my children. I am open to advice, but not when its rammed down my throat. Today I think Anth had to deal with this as well, and she probably handled herself far better.

She rang me up this afternoon to let me know that Ethan had been chastised for having Yoghurt in his morning tea. The issue, apparently, is that because it is "branded" yoghurt that this isn't healthy. The local primary school, quite rightly, is having a push to get the kids to eat healthily. I don't have a problem with this at all. What I do have a problem with is when my wife rings me up and tells me that one of the teachers, not realising that Anth was there, yells at Ethan about eating unhealthy yoghurt, snatches it out of his hand, and then demands that he get something else.

Of course, Ethan, being quite sensitive, then burst into tears whilst going back to his bag to see what else he could get. Anth said that she rushed back into the room to comfort him. I can just imagine the devil eyes she would have given the teacher as well. Fortunately, this wasn't Ethan's direct teacher, just one of the other pre-school teachers which thankfully Ethan doesn't have.

Later that afternoon, after checking with some of her other friends, she went in and told Ethan's teacher that the way they handled it was inappropriate. She was still told Ethan couldn't have that particular yoghurt, which is quite ironic given other kids eat Muesli bars which are far more sugar laden. He can have "plain" yoghurt. The teacher, did however, apologise for the behaviour of her colleague, which I think is what Anth was really after.

I realise that we have a responsibility to our children to keep them healthy. I know I'm not the greatest role model. However, I agree with Anth that the last thing we want to do is to force food issues on our children from a young age. Moderation is the key.

Ciao for Now, Angry Angry Dad.

3 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Oh she was a far better woman than I would have been in that situation. I have had my run ins with teachers and I am sure its not over.....just three words here....You go Anth!!!

11:26 pm  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Oh and by the way - Toby is having a Gogurt for an afterschool snack!

8:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you were sending him with coke, potato chips and a chockie bar then maybe she would have a point. Send Ethan with a worm layden apple for her tomorrow!

1:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home