Friday, February 24, 2006

Beggars

Tonight on the way home, I got accosted by two young guys who asked me for money. The thing was, they didn't look destitute. In fact, as I walked to the car I was about 10 metres behind them as they perved on a young Asian woman walking along in front of them. She went in to her apartment block, so they decided that I might be the next easy stooge.

"Hey mate, got any coins that we can use for some food."
"No mate. Sorry."

Not that I would have given them anything anyway, but I really only had about $1.35 on me at that point. The thing was, that after this they tried to intimidate me by walking close behind me, and as I turned down one street to the car, and they obviously had to go the other way, one of them said "I wonder what that c*nt would do if I threw a .... at the back of his head." Charming. I couldn't quite hear what it was that they were going to throw, but I got the gist.

Of course nothing happened. They were two weedy little guys, and I'm not exactly small. I would of course have sat on them if anything had happened. Or eaten them myself. Begging is not the most noble of arts. I realise that there are destitute people out there, and that even though we have great services such as the Salvation Army or the service provided by the Big Issue, some people cannot overcome their circumstance. There didn't appear any real need for these two dimwits to be doing it.

I hope my kids can have an appreciation for the homeless and their plight, but you can be guaranteed that I won't be encouraging them to support beggars of this nature.

Ciao for Now, Angry Dad.

1 Comments:

Blogger IFLYG said...

Mate - Tae Kwon Do must be teaching you such patience....I must be a much angrier Dad than you...I consider myself a very calm individual, but this would have set me off...where I come from, two young "homeless" dudes asking "do you have any change to spare" is usually the prelude to a mugging, and it just sets all my sensors to "attack"...
Stay out of the Valley - move to Paddington :)

12:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home