Thursday, February 23, 2006

Unko!

Tonight we joined up Tae Kwon Do for Ethan and myself. Up to this point, I had actually been feeling quite confident with joining up, and I was happy that Ethan was enjoying it, and so was I. Tonight, when we handed over our joining fees, we were also going to get our uniforms so that we would "look" like the others in the class. Ethan was looking forward to this, but unfortunately I didn't arrive early enough to pay before he did his class. Both of us ended up still doing it in shorts and T-shirts.

It's still early days, but both Ethan and I are still quite Unko. You know Unko? Uncoordinated! Ethan also has a habit of playing with his face whilst waiting for the next thing to happen. He claims it is because he's sweating and he wants to wipe off the perspiration, but often he just does it to do something, or because he's unsure of himself. I do the same thing.

For the previous nights, I actually felt I had a handle on the basics. My fitness is ok, even if I am a fat bastard. Years of gym have actually paid off a little, so the warm ups aren't too much problem. But tonight, when they took me and three other white belts into the beginners area, it was like I knew totally nothing. We ran through everything needed for the basic grading and half way through I was completely lost. I couldn't step properly, I couldn't block, I couldn't punch, and stuff me if my kicking looked like I was failing to step on an ant. The instructor tried, but after about 10 minutes I think he had even given up on me!

Maybe being tired had an impact. I just have to try not to remember Homer's adage of "Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. "

Ciao for Now, Unko Angry Dad.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Way cool that you are doing that with your son. I remember when I was little I wanted to go to Karate classes with my Dad.

The coordina!tion will come before you know it

2:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home