Friday, March 17, 2006

Duck, Duck, Duck

One of my favourite characters on the Simpsons is Ralph Wiggum. He has classic lines, such is as:
"Hi, Principal Skinner. Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers." (instead of 'Superintendent' Chalmers)

Ralph: "Daddy, I'm scared. Too scared to even wet my pants."
Chief Wiggum: "Just relax and it'll come, son"

"My cat's breath smells like cat food."

That last quote is a personal favourite, and was in the episode, Lisa's Rival. This was a very early episode. One of the things I love about the Web is that people create whole sites on things like this, such as That's Unpossible, bringing you the Best of Ralph! Ralph is almost the Anti-Bart in the show. They're voiced by the same actor, Nancy Cartwright. However, whereas Bart is cunning and a known troublemaker, Ralph is at heart good, even if somewhat socially inept.

Now, why mention Ralph in this particular Blog? Well, I think all of us have a little Ralph in us. I know my kids do things that make me think of Ralph. Last night at Taekwondo, because he had a sore leg, when the instructor asked "Does anyone have any injuries which might stop them from training", Ethan responded "Yes, my leg is broken". Aidan too, when he walks backwards goes "Beep, Beep, Beep!" (like a truck reversing). This morning, on my way to work I heard one of my other favorite Simpsons quotes, which I couldn't help but repeat at work to one of my stunned colleagues: "We.... Have.... A............ Tramp-amp-online!" Repeating this at work isn't like Homer, it's like Ralph!

The other night, instead of watching all of the Commonwealth Games which are on in Australia at the moment, I watched a repeated episode of the Simpsons called Sleeping with the Enemy. Given the content of the Opening Ceremony, included components of poetry by Michael Leunig (the Duck) I feel its appropriate to quote one of Ralph's more unique and esoteric lines:

"Duck, Duck, Duck, Duck, Duck, Duck, Duck..."

Ciao for Now, A Little Bit of Ralph Angry Dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home