Tuesday, April 25, 2006

ANZAC Day - Lest We Forget

Today was ANZAC Day. On the 25th of April every year Australians honour the bravery and sacrifice of the members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC), and of all those who served their country. The ANZAC tradition began during World War I with a landing on 25th April, 1915 at Gallipoli on the Turkish Aegean coast. It is a national holiday in Australia.

Although I've never served, I respect what the ANZAC represents, and in particular the statement "Lest We Forget". To me, this means that we should never wish to make war, lest we forget the sacrifice of those who have gone before. War is a terrible thing, often fought by those with little relation to the leaders who engage the conflict in the first place. Personally, I'd fight to preserve my children, and the freedoms which we have in this country, one of the luckiest of all. But I'd do this only after all other forms of democracy had failed.

There was a great article in our weekend paper about Keith Payne, the last Australian awarded a Victoria Cross, the highest recognition for valour "in the face of the enemy" that can be awarded to members of the British and Commonwealth armed forces. In one particular battle in Vietnam he saved the lives of many Australian and International soldiers. He had a great quote I've condensed here on courage:
"I myself think that it's a reaction to a time. You're there. It's your responsibility. You do it... Some will baulk, but there will always be somebody there who will react."

Blokes like this make me proud to be Australian. I hope my kids never have to go to war, never have to be in the armed forces, and never have to use a weapon in anger. But I also hope my kids can embody a spirit and courage which will make them react when courage is required.

Ciao for Now, Proud Aussie Angry Dad.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know that Keith Payne is also the survivour of a platypus atack? He said it was far more painfull and physicaly exhausting than winning the VC! if you have any more info on him pls post it! i am trying to find the second best stories that VC winners have.

9:23 am  
Blogger Wes said...

Sorry, I don't have any further information on Keith. I'd suggest that you try the War Memorial or the National Library, who I'm sure would have other information. The "Who's Who in Australia" should also give you some good info! Good Luck!!

11:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home