Sunday, January 29, 2006

Countdown to Technology

Last night I stayed up and watched a repeat episode of Countdown from Dec 12, 1982. Countdown was a seminal popular music show when I grew up. Last night, it was on the ABC around midnight. Although this was 23 years ago, I can remember it like it was yesterday. Culture Club mixed with Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. Even Molly Meldrum's ramblings, including that Japan were going to be big (They weren't, even though I liked David Sylvian back then - see "Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence" for a great pretentious soundtrack!)

The point is, television these days seems to be focused more on marketing to my era. There are many shows, particularly in sitcom and reality land, that cater for the 28 -40 year old taste. I suspect this is because the next generation aren't as fixated on television as we were, and they are finding other mechanisms of getting their mass media fixes, such as the Internet. I've only rediscovered some of the things that are out there, including Blogging, and Social Networking on computers. Here is a great article on the impact of blogging in the business world, which was published in business Week.

Back in the mid 80's when I started my IT career, I used some of the original pieces of what would become the Internet. In Australia, we had the AARNET, and I used to attend the Net workshops (or Nerd Workshops) too see where it was all going. Even then, we could see it would change the world, but we probably didn't understand the full implications. I believe that the impact of this technology will change the landscape of media, information and knowledge, with far less emphasis on the traditional sources of knowledge distribution. Our children will be the beneficiaries. Debate will continue to rage on this throughout the world.

Unfortunately it won't be for everyone. As pervasive as the Internet has become, it still doesn't get everywhere. Censorship is still rife in some quarters. And the millions that live in poverty would much prefer food, water and shelter over time sitting at a keyboard.

All this technology still doesn't change some aspects of the here and now. Here are some things from just this morning which show life will always triumph over technology. Ethan, when he shoves half a roll of toilet paper down the toilet, will still block it. This causes me to yell at him whilst I fish it out of the said blocked toilet. Aidan, although he is full proficient at using the DVD player, still can't work out why if he bites the DVD's and smothers them in slobber, they don't work anymore. And my wife will still yell at Crash Bandicoot when he doesn't jump through the fire like he's supposed to.

Ciao for now, IT philosophical Angry Dad.

P.S. As a total aside, I've put links throughout this post - mostly to the Wikipedia. This is the most amazing application of knowledge collection I have seen, even better than Google, because it is self authenticating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home