Tuesday, April 04, 2006

In the Army Now

One of my friends, Andrew, has joined the Army Reserves. I've been thinking about this since he told me he was joining up, and that he was leaving work for the induction sessions. This is a very honorable thing to do. Don't get me wrong, I hate war, and all it represents. I hate that we have to have an Army, a defence force. Why can't we all just get along? Unfortunately, I'm not that ignorant that I don't understand what they represent in today's society.

When I was younger I thought about joining the reserves. I would have been called "Gunner". Because I was always gunna do something! Now I'm older, with a wife, mortgage, and three children, I don't think they'd want me. Andrew has all the attributes which should make him a good recruit, and maybe he should have gone in as an officer. He's highly intelligent, physically fit, and willing to learn.

Although I don't really want my kids to have to join the defence forces, I wouldn't stop them. Many people I know have served, and the discipline and knowledge they gain serves them well in life. Like anything though, there's the good and the bad. I don't want my kids to have to go to war, but I don't want to live under another's regime. I want the freedoms and luxuries we have in our society. I love living in Australia.

So, hopefully Andrew knows we're thinking of him, and as he's out in the middle of nowhere undertaking his own Survivor adventure, he better not get voted out!

Ciao for Now, Defenceless Angry Dad.

1 Comments:

Blogger IFLYG said...

Joining the Army was one of the best things I ever did. I was a bit rough around the edges when I was in my teens, and was probably headed for some serious trouble. I enlisted shortly after my 17th birthday, and by the time I was 18 I was disciplined, dependable, self-confident, etc.
It's not for everyone, but it really taught me a lot, at a time when I really needed the lessons.

8:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home