Sunday, May 21, 2006

45th Wedding Anniversary

This week was my parents 45th wedding anniversary. I'm not sure if the actual day was today or not because I'm a forgetful son. Anth has just informed me it was yesterday, the 20th. We went up to Noosa for a celebratory lunch today with my brother and his family. Leanne, my sister in law, laid on a huge feast for of our families, as well as two guests they are entertaining. We took up a big chocolate cake for the dessert.

45 years is a bloody long time! And putting up with me, my brother, and my sister, and successfully raising us to the people we are today is impressive. We had a stable upbringing, and spent most of our growing up lives in the same house in Strathmore, Victoria. Our house was close to the Essendon Airport, and if you've ever seen the movie "The Castle" you've got a bit of an idea of where we lived (it was shot just around the corner!).

From there, when I was 15, they began a journey which would take them around the world. Dad got transferred to Canberra, Australia's capital, then two years later he was off to Washington D.C. From there, they went back to Canberra, to Montreal, and in their retirement ended up in Noosa. They're incredibly worldly well travelled, and next week are off for a trip to Kakadu in the Northern Territory.

Mum and Dad were relatively strict, but not so strict that we couldn't explore our own creativity and selves. They did so much for us, that its only as an adult that you really appreciate how much it was, as you try to do the same types of things with your own kids. We never really went without, but we still had a sense of what it took to do things like holidays, family outings, gifts and keeping food on the table. I think they did a great job!

Ciao for Now, Happy Anniversary from the Angry Dad.

4 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

That is wonderful!! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

11:33 pm  
Blogger mollymcmo said...

thats so true, you just don't appreciate these things until you "grow up" and have children of your own.

just had to add i love the angry dad episode! will be reading more!

m

3:35 am  
Blogger carrie said...

It is nice to know that we grow up into adults who actually appreciate what our parents did for us! This tells me that there is some hope that my own kids will one day appreciate all that my Hubby and I do for them, even if they shoot daggers at us daily with their eyes!
Oh, and about the Firemen, go figure! :o)

5:58 am  
Blogger Kristin said...

Stories like this fill me with hope... Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad of Angry Dad!

4:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home