Saturday, May 20, 2006

Grown Up, from a 6 year old's perspective.

As part of my Saturday activities, I do the main weekly shop at the local supermarket. This week, as Aidan wasn't well last night, Ethan decided to come with me. It has been a while since he's been in the Supermarket, but he still remembers going there when he was "a kid".

The fruit and vegetable section is dominated by a number of wooden holder boxes, where the produce is displayed and accessible around waist height for most adults. This means that kids can get down and crawl under the boxes, as their is enough room to use them for personal entertainment. There are about 6 rows of these, and Ethan always used to make it his own personal challenge to get down and under each one, from one end to the other.

Today, however, it was not to be. As we approached, he began a conversation along the lines of:

"Dad, I used to crawl under these when I was a kid, didn't I?"
"Yep."
"But I'm all grown up now, so I can't fit can I?"
"Probably not."
"And its yucky and gross under there isn't it?"
"But you used to do it..."
"But I don't anymore 'cause I'm all grown up."

Does that mean that being a kid, you don't get to be yucky and gross anymore? This was followed up just after lunchtime, with this discussion about getting older.

"Dad?"
"Yes."
"When I'm a grandpa, you'll be dead won't you."
"Well, maybe, but hopefully by then science will have worked out how to keep people alive." (Yes, I am a nerd)
"No, you'll be dead."

Great. At least he's a realist!

Ciao for Now, Not Dead Yet Angry Dad.

4 Comments:

Blogger jon said...

Maybe he's got his eye on something you have, and is counting on inheriting it.

1:34 am  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

He definately has your wit! I love those kinds of conversations with the Tobman!

6:49 am  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

That's funny. :) My kids tell me stuff like that all the time. Or they'll say, "Mom, when you're really really old and I'm like 18 I will buy you a house, okay?" yeah,well, that's only 10 years from now son and unless you plan on winning Publishers Clearing House I don't think you'll be able to afford it. :) Kids have no concept of time I guess.

2:20 am  
Blogger mollymcmo said...

i love kid conversations! even if he is a grown up!

m

3:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home