Thursday, June 29, 2006

Kids Up Late

We are currently on school holidays here in Queensland, Australia. This means the kids have a bit more liberty in their go to bed times. And they know it. Thursday is also the weekly late night shopping night here. In Queensland, we're still not into keeping shops open late at night. In the suburbs, the only late night shopping is tonight, when the shopping malls are open until 9:00pm instead of the normal 5:00pm. The other weird thing is that if they say the shops are going to close at 5:00pm, then the shops actually start closing up around 4:30pm and damn you if you go into the store after that!

The upshot of this is that Anth went out with the girls to do late night shopping tonight, after I got home from Taekwondo. This meant I had to manage the boys for the evening. I don't know how Anth did it for two weeks whilst I was away. I had Callum crawling around everywhere, Ethan hiding out the back, and Aidan walking room to room going "Where's Mummy". Their normal routine is to be in bed between 8:00 and 8:30pm on a school night. This didn't work with me tonight. After 9:00pm I was still trying to rustle the older boys into their sleepy corrals, let alone trying to get Callum to bed.

When I finally got the older boys into bed, I then had to try to settle Callum down. He knew he was tired, but he also knew Anth wasn't around. He wouldn't take a bottle, and even though he lay down in my arms, he also jerked up every few minutes to look around to see if Mummy was there. It wasn't until 10:00pm when I was able to lay him down, and not long after that Anth was back. She ended up going out to one of the Coffee houses which do stay open later than the norm! Of course, she doesn't believe the kids are handfulls for me, and not for her. Maybe I just need to practice more.

Ciao for Now, Now Get To Bed Angry Dad.

5 Comments:

Blogger One Scrappy Gal said...

Just wanted to pop on over and say "hi." I found you through CheekyGrin's site. Hope you don't mind me reading. :)

12:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(reading glasses firmly perched on nose!)

Yup, more practice would do the trick. And you don't need to know your wife's tricks, You'll figure out a few of your own...if you haven't already.

Bedtime can be one of the most stressful times of the day because the parent as well as the children are tired.

3:10 am  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

I am quite surprised to hear that you don't have some of your own tricks up your sleeve.......


Yep - practice makes perfect...hehe

4:40 am  
Blogger mollymcmo said...

funny! maybe you need a set of leashes and some sedatives for them, then they'll see who's in control!!!! :)

seriously though, we have those "late" nights over here too and some nights that take forever to get them to bed no matter if its the both of us, or just me, or just their daddy.

can't believe shops close that early, blimey, thats madness!!!

m

7:09 am  
Blogger carrie said...

Ah yes, we too are in the throes of summer bedtimes! If you ask me, it sucks! Hang in there!

Carrie

3:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home