Monday, June 26, 2006

The Cynical Gene

I'm sure that every woman has a cynical gene. I've seen it in other women. There are certain things which turn the cynical gene on. The obvious one is the presence of a male in the vicinity of the female in question. Other things include idiocy on behalf of any gender; when there is a cluster of women who may turn on their own; or when a child behaves in a certain way - like emulating their father.

Anth's cynical gene gets turned on when she is tired, and when I disobey orders. Over the weekend, she wanted me to get up early on Sunday to take Aidan to Grandmas. The order for the night before was "Don't stay up too late". Good Advice. I took that good advice, and blew it out the window by feeding my Online Poker addiction. I ended up staying awake until around 2:00am trying to win back my earlier losses. Lucky its not real money.

Of course, this meant that the next morning I wanted to sleep in. Callum hasn't been sleeping well, so Anth was awakened most of the night - including by her husband lumbering in at 2:00am to wake up not only her, but the baby as well. So of course, come the morning the Cynical Gene was well and truly promoted into action. This is enacted by putdowns,
"Do you know how much of an idiot you are by staying up all night?"

comparisons to imbeciles,
"Even the dickhead on Big Brother deserves more respect than you. At least he goes to bed at a reasonable hour."

and the "Dontchas".
"Dontcha think that you're going to be doing any sleeping today. You've got to look after the kids."

Luckily genetics have endowed all males with the "Yes Dear" gene.

Ciao for Now, Yes Dear Angry Dad.

5 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Ahhhh the cynical gene....I know it well but I think that mine is a little underdeveloped or I just have a longer fuse than most - but I have said it before - its like the hulk - don't make me angry, you won't like me when I am angry...

12:09 am  
Blogger Pete said...

A housemate deserves more respect....oooooh....that's harsh as they are indeed dickheads sometimes.

I'm not convinced it's a gene though. I think it's a muscle. A muscle that must be flexed and maintained at every opportunity.

7:39 am  
Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

Ah yes, the "yes dear" gene. A Darwinistic triumph.

Lisa

9:33 am  
Blogger carrie said...

That is too funny!

5:48 am  
Blogger mollymcmo said...

i think anth and i are twins, this happens a lot over in this house.

m

12:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home