Sunday, June 18, 2006

Yobbo's

This is the first time I've been late for a post. Technically, I don't think I am, because I've been out for the evening, first going to an AFL Football Match, Brisbane vs the Bulldogs, followed up with an evening at one of the city pubs. This was a last minute activity, as I got the call this afternoon to go to the game this evening.

It has been a long and busy day. Ethan and I had taekwondo gradings this morning, which we stayed at most of the morning. I think we both passed, which means we should get our new grade levels next week at class. We're both still beginners, but it is nice to progress. The afternoon was filled with a nice catnap for Ethan, Callum and I, until Aidan came and poked Callum in the head with a lollipop that he wanted open. Aidan is our little family yobbo.

The Australian Dictionary of Slang defines yobbo thus:
yobbo
noun (Derogatory) 1. an unrefined, uncultured, slobbish person: I gotta change out of me stubbies, I don't wanna look like a yobbo. 2. a hooligan or lout: I was hassled by a bunch of drunken yobbos on their way home from the football. Also, yob. [19thC British slang yob a young lad (backslang for boy) + -o]
I would like to take Ethan to the football, but if tonight was any example, it's full of yobbos. Probably because we were sitting in the drinking section. I haven't heard such language, except coming from my own filthy mouth. The exception is that I knew that the F-word was pretty much in worldly use, but I didn't know that the more derogatory C-word was now commonplace. I think I'm becoming a prude in my old age, except the last thing I want is one of my boys going to school and saying "F*** Off you Mother F*****rs, You're all a pack of C****s." To top it off, I had this stupid Nuffy, using similar phrases to the one just listed, sitting behind me who kicked my seat for half a quarter. That did manage to stop when I turned to the guy I was with and said loudly enough, "If this C*** doesn't stop F***ing kicking my chair, I'm gonna turn around and beat the crap out of him." Violence begats violence, and an Angry Dad can be an Angry Yobbo when he wants to be.

Ciao for Now, Meek and Mild Angry Dad.

2 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

Happy Fathers Day to you, Angry Dad. And thank you for the lesson on "Yobbos". I may need to whip that little gem out at the MLB game we are taking my Hubby to for Father's Day! Even though we have excellent seats, there are sure to be a few yobbos higher up who yell at the ref, spill their beers and let the obscenities sail from their mouths like crazy!
And congrats on the Taekwondo test, my oldest starts classes on Monday!
Carrie

12:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Father's Day Angry Dad!

I have a few Yobbo's that live at my house. Turning them into a gentleman and young ladies may be the death of me!

11:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home