Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Other Dads and Newborns

One of my colleagues has just had his second child. He and his wife brought a new baby into the world about a week ago. He came into work today with huge bags under his eyes. He told me how good the baby was doing, and as it was his second, he already had gone through the first set of shocks of "new born" syndrome. I still don't think you ever get that used to it.

This led onto another conversation with another colleague who hasn't yet had kids. He asked in part what it was like when you have your first kid. Of course, your Angry Dad being worldly wise and a great parent answered with "I Dunno..." however, I quickly changed my tune and told it from my perspective.

The way I figure it, those first few weeks of any new born's life are going to guarantee you restless or no sleep. It would be a very very rare baby that sleeps all through the night from day one, and if it did, you as a parent would be freaking out, and probably poking the baby all night with your fingers whilst you thought "Why is the baby sleeping?" My best advice is to make sure that if you're working, you take some time off and spend it together as a family. I do realise this isn't for everyone, but it works for me. After 6 weeks, its far better to have had "nap time" during those first few weeks, otherwise its zombies all around due to sleep deprivation!

Baby's also don't do much. Its far more fun when they're at Callum's age now and into everything! They're also a lot more curious, and you get to do more things with them. Just after birth, its mum who generally gives them everything: Booby, A Booby Pillow, A Booby milk fountain... you get the picture. As big as my breasts are, and lets face it, they're called breasts and everybody has them, it isn't quite the same thing.

Ciao for Now, Chesty Angry Dad.

6 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

I think that is an honest perspective. Babies are definately more fun when they learn to move around a bit.

10:25 pm  
Blogger Mama en Fuego said...

I am so glad my husband is used to the middle of the night wake up calls. As a firefighter he is an expert at waking up in the middle of the night and going right back to sleep. I on the other hand may have a harder time adjusting to the lack of sleep. So not looking forward to that part.

3:47 am  
Blogger j.sterling said...

LOL @ poking them wondering why they're sleeping.. lol.. so true!

4:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My ex took 3 weeks off after the birth of each of our 4 children. It saved my life and made the transition of the newest into the family much smoother. After he went back to work he slept in the spare bedroom for another 4-6 weeks. I needed him rested enough to hit the ground running when he returned from work at the end of the day. It certainly became much more fun for him when they became less "boob" obsessed.

6:27 am  
Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

That time off together is so special in the beginning.

I remember when our baby would finally sleep, I couldn't because I either feared he'd wake up or feared he wouldn't.

--Lisa

1:36 pm  
Blogger carrie said...

Love hearing your pont of view on all things "parental". Thanks for sharing how you really felt and being honest with those who hadn't a clue, great.

6:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home