Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Colouring Book Etiquette

Today was a travel day. I travelled from Tampa up to St Louis. This evening, I had a very enjoyable time catching up with one of my colleagues, Becky, who had done an exchange in Australia. She took me out with some of her friends to a Mexican Restaurant, and then after that we went out to a Bowling Bar, and played some ten pin. I even managed to bowl a 100 game, which was pretty good for me!

That hasn't really got anything to do with Colouring Books, although the mall we went to was full of colour. On the plane, I was seated next to a grandmother and her granddaughter. Being a good grandma, she had brought along activities for the little girl. One of these activities was a colouring book, so about half way into the trip, it was brought out for a quick colouring in session.

This is where the question of colouring book etiquette comes in. The young girl wouldn't have been more than 4 or 5. Now, I know that with my kids, they can only just get the colours within the lines of anything they need to colour. And often, particularly with Aidan, the colouring goes all over the place. So tell me, when should the adult supervisor step in and take over the activities? Grandma did it almost straight away, and began an artistic colour in, with the correct colours, and with the correct amount of colouring within the lines.

In my books, this doesn't make it any fun for the kid, however, the little miss was quite happy to watch, so I shouldn't complain! Maybe I wanted to have a go too!!

Ciao for Now, Non Colouring Angry Dad.

1 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

I belong to the school of "you can color out of the lines or anywhere you want as long as it's not the carpet or wall". Young children shouldn't be "forced" to color in the lines, there is plenty of that once they get into school.

But on the flip side, at least it kept her occupied and quiet and for that, you can be thankful.

5:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home