Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Ok, so I'm here now.

After 22 hours of flying or being in Airports, I'm finally in Clearwater, Florida. Its bizarre in that its almost exactly like Brisbane weather in Summer, so from that respect its not much different. All the people I've met here are really friendly and laid back, so that's nice as well.

After saying the flights were uneventful yesterday, I wasn't counting on the storm season in the middle of the country. I flew from LAX to Dallas/FT Worth, and got stuck on the tarmac whilst a lightning storm came to the South of the airport. We had to sit in the aeroplane, about 10 metres from the gate, whilst they couldn't connect us up as no workers are allowed out in lightning storms. Fair enough I guess, I wouldn't want to be hit by lightning either.

My amusement for the hour or so we waited was hoping that it would rain because all the workers must have just run for it when they were told the lightning could hit. If it rained, there was a stack of luggage just sitting out, uncovered, on trolleys next to the airplane. How pissed off would you be if you got to your destination and found everything in your bag soaked?! I'm such a sadistic bastard getting enjoyment from that, but after 19 hours and little sleep, your mind does wander.

I was travelling on Memorial Day in the U.S. I had an interesting co-passenger. He was in the U.S. Army, and he was travelling on for his first tour to Iraq. I didn't know what to say. You can't just say "Don't get killed" can you, even if its the first thing that popped into your head. We talked more about his journey to get there than on specifics. I have huge respect for these type of people who have to go and do their governments bidding. One thing about Americans I noticed too, was that many of them were very respectful and positive to this young guy, and this may have been even more so given it was Memorial Day. As I've said before, I hope my kids never have to go to war.

Ciao for Now, I'm Here Now Angry Dad.

6 Comments:

Blogger j.sterling said...

you should have gotten his email.. cause they can email over there. i dunno, isn't it surreal? was he nice? i'm glad you're safe and sound and i hope your soldier is too

9:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi angrey dad
you suck homo boy.

love bruther

1:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi angrey dad this is ya niece that site that u have is cool mum loves it. dad well..........................................................

1:51 pm  
Blogger Jenn said...

Glad you landed safe! Yea, it takes a certain type of person to be able to go into the military. I give them a lot of credit, cause I couldn't do it.

12:59 am  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Yeah! Glad you made it!

I finally posted - just getting a late start this morning.

5:30 am  
Blogger mollymcmo said...

i give them credit and respect too, i really don't think i could do it.

like you said i hope my children never have to go to war.

m

5:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home