Friday, May 26, 2006

Babies Eating Little Things

Callum is going through teething at the moment. He dribbles all the time, and so if he sticks something in his mouth that he's not supposed to, you have to check whether he has something in there for real, or if its just his salivation causing the dribbles.

Because we have older children, we have range of toys which have lots of small pieces. Tonight, I had to extract a small lego piece from his mouth that had been left behind in one of Callum's play areas. It doesn't take much does it? The piece wouldn't have been about the size of an adult fingernail, and into his gob it went.

Now, call me paranoid, but the last thing I want is to have to do a tracheaotomy on a baby to unblock his airways. It isn't so bad whilst he's not crawling, but it will only be a matter of time. Our kids are ok at cleaning up after themselves, not perfect mind you, but most things get put away if we ask, and sometimes even if we don't ask! However, we have lots of little things that can be eaten, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to store all this stuff and still remain safe.

We've had to put away some things, like the "magnetix" toys with small metallic balls as connectors. Now here's something bizarre and quite sad, in researching Magnetix for this post, there is a product recall on this toy due to a child ingesting magnets and dying due to intestinal problems. So I'm not that paranoid, and this isn't just urban myth. I think these toys, unfortunately, will have to be thrown out in our household due to this - as I'm not sure what the status in Australia is for this toy. As rare as it is, I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone.

Ciao for Now, Angry Dad.

P.S. If you have any concerns on the above mentioned product, refer to the links from the Wikipedia page referenced above.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ashley Lasbury said...

I just amazes me that younger sibs survive as well as they do! You are in that golden period with your youngest where they sit in one place and are there where you left them when you return. Once they start moving, it's all over!

I took all of the toys with small pieces and put them in the children's rooms. I then had a "big talk" about baby safety and asked them not to bring these toys or pieces of these toys into the rest of the house. And the baby was not allowed into their bedrooms without very close supervision. She would always find the smallest object in the area and pop it into her mouth in a flash! Anyway, it worked fairly well as she is still alive and kicking at 4!

11:04 pm  
Blogger j.sterling said...

that's got to be hard.. you do have to totally watch everythign and make sure no small toys are trying to be eaten. good luck! lol

3:18 am  
Blogger mollymcmo said...

my youngest just started crawling. on our main floor we have a huge, and i mean huge flippin bin full of toys that are good for all ages. the rest of the crap stays in their rooms.

there are too much toys in this house, it drives me nuts!

i heard that story re the magnetix, the forces between the magnets in the toys caused his intestines to twist and essentially strangulate themselves. terrible story.

year ago my mom did babysitting. she was changing on little boy and found a screw in his poop. its amazing that it worked its way throught! LOL!

m

5:34 am  
Blogger mollymcmo said...

holy typos, sorry! i'm sick and tired, up and down all night between all the kids, ugh.

caffeine is keeping me going.....

m

5:35 am  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Once when Char was little and just learning to crawl around good, I left the room for a split second and when I came back her cheeks were filled with doggie kibble....ewwwwww

I had a hard time getting all that out......

6:04 am  
Blogger carrie said...

I have been thinking about posting this as well, my daughter actually ate two of the small metal balls that go to the magnetix! Yes, I've since thrown all of them in the trash and become really strict with the legos and other small toys that the boys have but it is a never-ending concern in our house. She will put anything in her mouth, ear or nose for that matter. I cannot assume that she's grown out of this phase either (she's 2 and a half and she swallowed the magnetix balls just before her 2nd b-day).

All I can tell you is hang in there and be careful. If you think your baby has swallowed something, don't be embarrassed or afraid to take him to the Dr. and get an immediate x-ray. That's what we did with Katie.

Oh, the worries of parenting . . .

6:49 pm  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

Boy oh boy. Am I ever glad I don't have babies anymore. We have the dog and that's bad enough. That stupid Beagle eats EVERYTHING. Or shreds it. She drives me batty.

Good luck with the baby. And that's scary about those magnet toys. Geez....I don't think my boys own of those, I should check and see. thanks for the Public Service Announcement.

2:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home