Sunday, June 11, 2006

Crawlin' and Crashin'

As I mentioned in a previous post, Callum started crawling about 2 days before I got home from my trip to the U.S. Since then, he's really started getting about everywhere, and he's so proud of himself. At first, he did a rocking motion before getting going. He still manages to get about halfway to his destination, and then decides to flail around on his stomach. This is like his father on the beach , or when his father is trying to get up out of the reclined couch seat. Unlike his father, he soon shoots off again.

His new adventures caused some heartaches today. I took Ethan to see Cars, which we both enjoyed, and when we came back home Callum had a nice new shiner on his forehead. "What happened?" I asked, only to be then told the story of the main bruise. We normally have Callum sleep in our bed with us, and during the day, we put him down there. That's now going to have to stop. He was on our bed this morning, and once he woke up, he decided it would be fun to crawl over to the edge of the bed. Of course, he fell off, and he managed to fall so the top of his head clipped the side table as he went over.

That's the main mark you can see here, just under the edge of his beanie. Not to be outdone by merely falling off the bed, he also managed to pull my guitar onto his skull after crawling up and strumming a few bars. I think he was trying to play Smoke on the Water, which is the first riff most of us learn. The final buffo came from pulling a scooter onto his noggin whilst outside, from trying to crawl up onto one of the wheels. As you can see, he doesn't seem to be suffering any ill effects. I love how kids are remarkably resilient!

Ciao for Now, Chasing Baby Angry Dad.

7 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

I saw Cars last night too! Ohh kiss that little shiner...

4:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful boy!

My kids have suffered numerous bumps caused from falling from high places. Thank God they bounce! He looks like he is going to give you run for your money. Have fun! I am so, so thankful that my youngest is now 4 and that my days of chasing a new crawler around are over!

8:25 am  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

oHMYGAWD, I so agree, Ashley. That new baby crawling, walking stage is stinking exhausting. i seriously think the babies lay on the ground and plan their plans of attack as soon as they are mobile. They're like, "okay first I'll play the guitar and possibly smash it up like a rockstar, then I'll crawl off the bed it doesn't look THAT high, next I'm over to the dog's dish, then it's off to the bathroom garbage, UMMMM lego's, ohhhh dirty socks, hey what do those little plug ins do when you stick daddy's keys in there??, and lastly what do Daddy's shoes taste like?!?!?! :)
HAVE FUN with your new mobile son.

How was Cars? We want to go next weekend. And I'm glad you made it home safe.

12:31 pm  
Blogger mollymcmo said...

we are a'crawlin over here too, had a bloody lip the other day from falling face first.....baby, not me!

such cute pics!

m

2:21 pm  
Blogger Kristin said...

i clearly remember my younger son have a perma-bruise on his forehead for a good 6 months...

callum is adorable... delicious!!

9:07 pm  
Blogger Mama en Fuego said...

hhhmmm...and here I thought every new guitarist was forced to learn Stairway to Heaven....

Callum is a cutie pie. I am sure like any little boy he'll be pushing the limits but don't worry Dad, Chicks Dig Scars ;)

1:52 am  
Blogger carrie said...

He is very cute! My boys were covered with bumps and bruises from the moment they were mobile until about age 3! Our pediatritian said that he worries more about kids without marks than with them because it means that they're active and on the go!!

6:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home