Friday, June 30, 2006

Little Wriggly Bugger

Once upon a time, putting a nappy on Baby Callum was like folding a warm jam donut in a fine paper wrapper, knowing that you could snuggle up to it before you popped it away to enjoy later. Callum used to lie gently coo-ing as you lay him down, smiling up at you as you got him ready for bed, and being fully compliant in the dressing process. He'd then lie in your arms with a bottle, drink, then slowly go off to sleep. The donut analogy no longer holds. He no longer just goes to sleep.

This evening Callum (and Aidan) had a bath with Anth. Ethan filled the bath up with baby bubbles, and they all splashed around in their whilst I tried to play the kids guitar and sing stupid songs. Before getting in the bath, Callum cruised up and down on the step, proving that walking can't be far away. I can't remember either of the other kids getting this active so quickly. Callum had a quick bath, and when he got out, I had the job of getting him ready for bed. Note: This isn't something I normally do, because Anth is much better with all the kids. Yes, I know I should be better, but I'm not. Period.

When it came to get Callum dressed it was a 20 minute fight. I grabbed, he parried. He tried to slink out of every grasp. As I tried to get him to lie on his back so I could wrap the nappy around him, he'd flip over and try to scoot forward. He's fast. I kept having to pull him back, and he'd be off again. All the time he was crying. Eventually, I managed to get the nappy on enough that it could be adjusted to something that hopefully will hold everything in. Then it was pyjama time. I'd stupidly chosen a one-piece number for him. Another battle. Wriggly Little Bugger. By the end, Anth had to come in and save him from me, and me from him! Anth has since told me that now you have to tickle him and make him laugh before you've got any chance of making him stay still. Maybe I should practice more.

Ciao for Now, Maybe I Should Tickle Him Angry Dad.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

None of the parenting books I have ever read speak the truth about diapering an older child. It can be a full contact wrestling match.

Tickling is good. Blowing bubbles on the tummy works. Singing and/or putting food in small hands also occasionally works. But nothing works all of the time. Except keeping your sense of humor. It is infectious.

11:24 pm  
Blogger mollymcmo said...

yep, fun isn't it, especially when you're in a hurry.

i give then anything safe to chew on, wether it be a toy or even a diaper. i find if their hands and mouth are busy, they are content for a couple seconds.

then you gotta work quick to whip that diaper and clothing on while the countdown begins when they lose interest in the toy....

boy and and babies sounds pretty similiar don't they??!! LMAO!!

m

5:53 am  
Blogger mollymcmo said...

i meant MEN and babies sound similiar...guess i should proof read! haha!

m

5:54 am  
Blogger Undercover Angel said...

Once they get wiggly, putting a diaper on them or dressing them can be quite the obstacle... I miss those days so much...

9:26 am  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

OH MAN! How I remember those days. It is like a full contact wrestling match! that is SOOOO true. :) One would think with all the fighting that they do to get their diaper changed, and who can blame them it must be downright creepy to have somebody looking at your "area" 500x a day and rubbing stuff on it, that they would be easy buggers to potty train. It seems as though they would JUMP at the chance to use the potty. BUT they don't...wierdo kids.

10:19 am  
Blogger carrie said...

I remember the days of the diaper wrangling very well!! Try giving him a piece of sticky tape to play with whilst diapering! It may work, if not . . . sumo wrestling diaper baby?

Carrie

2:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home