Thursday, July 06, 2006

Sabotaging a diet

At the moment I am ostensibly trying to diet. I don't actually like the term diet. I prefer to think of it as eating more sensibly. Ultimately, in my view, the key to weight loss or weight stabilisation is pretty much eat less or equal to what you expend in energy. Its kind of like the key to wealth, spend less than you earn. Not really that much to it when you put it like that. Where I come unstuck is in sabotage!

American Psychologist William Sheldon in the 1940's defined 3 different body types called somatypes. I believe I have what is termed as an endomorphic body. Part of the definition in Wikipedia suggests:
The endomorphic person also has a visceral temperament, which means that they are tolerant, love comfort and luxury...

Well, that sounds like me! And this is where the sabotage comes in. I always have done exercise. For most of the past 20 years I've gone to the gym and done weight training. I really don't have much of a problem with doing exercise, so its usually what I eat that lets me down. I have a sweet tooth. Lately, I have been watching what I eat a lot more seriously than normal, so I've managed to lose a few kilos. However, over the past week, I've begun to do that classic negative thing of saying "Oh, I ran for half an hour today, that means I can eat half a block of chocolate." Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. The sabotage continues by not just eating half the block, but continuing and eating the second half, ergo, whole block. MMMmmm Chocolate.

Now I know this is purely a mental game, but one which the Homer in me is calling me out to play. I can just hear him on my shoulder singing "I am evil Homer, I am evil Home-Er!" C'est La Vie!

Ciao for Now, But I could be Good Homer Angry Dad.

6 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

I battle this daily. My biggest key is to keep sweet things in the house that is healthy (fruits and such). I keep the crap OUT!

When I do need a little something I head out to Dairy Queen and get a small sundae (lowest in calories on their menu).

I am at a plateau and with this trip I will probably gain a pound or two.......

1:12 am  
Blogger Undercover Angel said...

I have always sabatoged every diet I've ever tried to do. I find it works better for me to only purchase non-fattening foods so I'm not tempted to eat other things (I do have a cookie cupboard for the kids, but I only buy cookies I don't like). I also make sure I eat breakfast to start my metabolism - usually a cereal bar. Also - did you know if you add ice to your water that your body burns 40 calories for every glass you drink to warm itself up?

1:13 am  
Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

Boy I hear you on this problem! But I think your appraoch sounds really good reasonable and a recipe for success. Hang in there.

Lisa

2:49 am  
Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:49 am  
Blogger carrie said...

I don't know if they have these in Australia, but Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches are a dieter's dream come true!

Carrie

5:12 am  
Blogger Kristin said...

I am so bad that I am thrilled to hear about a man having these same issues?

My problem is: if it is in the house, I am going to eat it.

As you can imagine, we don't have a lot of fun food in our kitchen!!

5:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home