Saturday, July 01, 2006

Toy (Shop) Story

Anth told me about one of her adventures yesterday, after two new toys arrived in the household. Last night, Aidan and Ethan were both running around with an Echo Microphone, which Anth had gotten for Aidan. They were all trying it out, singing their guts out. Even Callum got in on the act with his single word solo. Ethan also had a new Hot Wheels car set, so he was showing me how that worked. I thought they must have had a lot of fun.

Today she told me what really happened in the toy store. It's an all too familiar scene. On the way home from visiting friends, she thought she'd stop at one of the local toy stores as a treat for the boys. Of course, when they walked in, there was hardly anyone in the store. They walked around, found the microphone for Aidan, and then the Hot Wheels for Ethan. As they made their way to the checkout, Anth spied some Blue's Clues computer games. Any regular reader would know Aidan loves this show.

Anth decided she'd get one of the games, so she grabbed one and took it up to the counter. Aidan, of course, was very excited. At the counter the conversation went along the lines of:
"Hi Madam. Do you realise we have a special on those games. They are only $5 each."
"Oh wow, well, I'll go back and get the other one then."
"You know they're not computer games don't you?"
"You mean I can't put them in the computer??"
"No, they're console games. That's why they're so cheap."
"So they won't work in a computer then?"
"No Madam."
"Damn."

And that's when the fun started. Or should I say torture. Of course, at that particular time a whole stack of additional families had walked in the store. Aidan lost it. He started screaming for the games as Anth tried to put them back. She tried to pay for what she had, with Callum on her hip, and Aidan trying to rip out of her grip to find "Blue's Clues Games." Ethan was good, but started complaining when he had to carry everything back to the car. I'm sure this isn't just a symptom of Aidan being Special Needs, but it really can make it harder. Of course, everyone just looks and stares and imagines that the child must just be a spoilt brat. If only it were that simple.

Ciao for Now, Glad it wasn't me Angry Dad.

7 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

I soooo can relate to that story....

4:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the story of my life. People looking at me and my kids and judging without knowing the facts. And it is a pure bitch to have to make your way out of a store with one or more screaming children and the others complaining. My heart goes out to your wife!

9:01 am  
Blogger Kristin said...

I can so relate to this! Eva once pitched such a fit that she threw herself down on the floor of the fish shop and screamed... I just did my best to ignore her and encourage people to step over her prostrate and screaming form.

10:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is of no consolation whatsoever and is intended only as an amusing aside.

There is a short TV ad which cleverly makes use of this situation. Father and son. Son lies screaming on the floor of the supermarket, demanding lollies. Another man walks up to frustrated stressed out Dad and quietly hands him a small package of named condoms, and says simply, "next time...."

12:47 pm  
Blogger carrie said...

Poor Anth! I've been in her shoes more times than I'd like to admit!

Carrie

4:04 pm  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

Toy stores are run by the Devil himself. I am sure of it. Poor Anth! it's your turn next time, Angry Dad.

4:01 am  
Blogger mollymcmo said...

my kids have done that too. drives me nuts! once i let my daughter scream and kick on the floor in a store.

i always said i would never have one of THOSE kids, hahahah! guess it was karma! LOL!

m

11:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home