Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The First Band


As one of my mates gets closer to his 40th Birthday, its become that time to reminisce about the past and gather documents of his history. Part of that history involves me and the first band that I was in. I was fortunate enough to be friends with a group of quite entrepreneurial guys. Way back in high school, a group of them decided that they could make some money on the side running disco's and band nights. At one particular show, they decided to let the band I was in play support to one of the other school garage bands. This was way back in November of 1982, so I was all of 15.

We'd only really done one other show, and at that point we didn't have a lead singer. There were for of us, Tim, myself, Santo and Mike. We were a covers band, mixing it up with 80's tunes (which were current then) and 50's rock - due to the mixed influence of the band members. I played keyboards, and we had 2 guitars, occasional bass, and drums. Tim stepped in as lead singer for this gig, and as we'd "lost" our temporary lead singer we decided to do this gig as "Reform". Get it, as in we'd reformed. Yeah, pathetic I know.

I don't really remember that much, but I do remember it was a lot of fun. The crowd wasn't that big, maybe 80 or so people, but it was intimate and I was playing music to someone other than the school orchestra crowd so that had to be a little bit cooler. I even got to wear a goofy looking hat, and I can't remember when my legs were that skinny, even if now Anth still calls me chicken legs (Bgaaarrrkkk).

Ciao for Now, Band Boy Angry Dad.

1 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

That is so funny, what a trup down memory lane! My hubby and his skater friends "jammed" in garages and called themselves Oil Bath in high school, I was supposed to play tambourine (yeah, right!). Funny thing is, some of them actually have gigs (that pay) in bars and taverns (they haven't grown up and don't have kids and are almost 40). And yes, my hubby had/has chicken legs too!

Carrie

3:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home