Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The inspirational Terri Irwin

We all learnt of the unfortunate passing of Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter, just over two weeks ago. This evening, Steve's wife Terri Irwin spoke about his life and his passing. This was done in an emotional interview with Ray Martin held on Australian television. I understand she had a similar interview with Barbara Walters for American TV.

Both Anth and I sat on the couch and bawled through most of it. I had to get up half way through and go and do the dishes. I think that in having kids yourself, it strikes a chord when someone else speaks about losing their loved ones. If I lost Anth, I don't know how I'd cope myself, let alone wondering about how I'd look after the kids - and having to be strong for them. I'm also not that naive to know that you do have to be strong, and as you get older, and that miniscule bit wiser, you realise that death is an unfortunate part of life.

The heartening thing about Terri was that she was real. She held Steve's legacy high. She showed the emotion of all that had occurred over the past month, wearing her heart on her sleeve and baring it all for us to see. But I didn't feel like a voyeur. I just wanted to reach out and help her, and I know that she will have a world of support behind her. Australia Zoo will be greater for the unfortunate loss, and the legacy will live on. We can all be wildlife warriors too.

Ciao for Now, Still Sad Angry Dad.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

Soooo sad. It was somehow so shocking that he died that way. I had the impression he was superhuman. I loved that he used his enthusiasm and fearlessness to help a bigger cause.

I feel sad for his widow, but know she will tell stories of her kid's heroic father forever.

Lisa

12:54 am  
Blogger j.sterling said...

so sad, but i love that you wrote about it.

3:49 am  
Blogger Melissa said...

I don't honestly know if I could watch it. I feel for her. Did you see the statement her daughter made? That was hard to watch too.

9:09 am  
Blogger Grim Reality Girl said...

I couldn't watch. I can't imagine her pain and what it will be like for her raising the kids alone. So sad. It isn't fair when the parent dies so young. It isn't fair when the spouse is left to cope alone. I think Terri will keep his memory alive for their kids. This is a blessing.... she seems to be an amazing woman.

2:13 pm  
Blogger carrie said...

I watched the Barbara Walters interview and was on the verge of tears the whole time. What an amazing family, and I hope that their legacy lives on and on and on . . . what a brave woman Teri is!

Carrie

4:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home