Monday, October 30, 2006

The Dawdler and the Dawdlebug

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to take your middle child to school, on time. You have one hour.

In my case, this truly is a Mission Impossible. I have embedded in my middle child one of my own more generous traits. It is the trait of the dawdle. Given a certain amount of time to undertake a task, I will, or nay Must, utilise all of the given time to explore all the alternatives and cross-paths which are designed to ensure that I utilise all of the given time, and then some.

So it was this morning, when my sole task was to get Ethan to school on time. Anth had a dentist appointment. She left at 7:50AM, after Aidan was sent off to school. Callum, the baby, was already up and fed. All I had to do was feed myself, do a triple S (shit, shower and shave), and get Ethan ready and delivered to school at 8:50AM. Should have been easy peasy.

It wasn't. Ethan dawdled getting into the shower. Then he dawdled putting his shoes on. I dawdled having a shave. I had to wait for Ethan to have his shower before I could have mine. We both got distracted in where the lunchbox with lunch in it was. Callum needed a nappy change. I couldn't get the pram upright. There was an earthquake. There was a terrible flood. I got a flat tire. You believe me baby, don't ya. Ya Gotta Believe Me...

Anyways, we rocked up to school, as the bell rang. Ethan thought that was fine, because he could still see girl's skipping in the courtyard, and he thought it was the first bell. It wasn't. The girls skipping were part of a class. We were definitely late. I could just imagine the label the teacher would put on us. "Dawdler." "Dawdlebug".

Ciao for Now, Late as always Angry Dad.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Oh, I can relate to this! I have started getting my kids up a half an hour earlier than ususal just to avoid the morning panic!

4:18 am  
Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

I loved this mission impossible scenario. So true. It is so inefficient dealing with children. It makes me crazy. They enjoy the journey as much as the destination, which is a beautiful thing when you have extra time. If not, IT MAKES YOU CRAZY AAAAACK.

Lisa

12:42 pm  
Blogger carrie said...

Every morning I say the same mantra over and over an over again: "hurry up, you boys are going to miss the bus"! Every day.

Carrie

7:02 pm  
Blogger Jenn said...

I'm ALWAYS ALWAYS LATE. If it wasn't for my husband, I'd probably be late for work every day!

2:36 am  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

I too am ALWAYS late. Always. And I have to be to work at 6:20AM most mornings and i come in there with my hair on fire from rushing around so fast. I always thought I was late because the kids made me late, but I am the only one up at the ungodly hour of 4:45Am so I can't blame it on anybody but myself. It really limits my excuses, let me tell ya....

9:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home