Friday, November 03, 2006

Happy Little Vegemite



This evening Ethan had his school concert. It was an Australian Made Variety Concert. With his class, all of the kids got dressed up like Vegemite and sang the Happy Little Vegemite song. It was good, because it was early on in the show, so I got to see him, and then I could go.

"Why did you have to go?" I hear you ask. Well, having an intellectually disabled boy and a baby can lead to interesting consequences when you go out to school functions. It can either work, or it can't. Tonight, Aidan got it in his head that we should have been going to his Annual concert. From the minute I got home, through dinner, in the car trip, and for most of the show we got repeated every 30 seconds. "Can I go to my Awards Night soon?" I don't know about you, but after an hour and a half of the same thing being said to you, it starts to wear a bit thin. On top of that, as I had to have him sit on my lap, he managed to pee on me before telling me he needed to go to the toilet.

After that, I did the swap with Callum for Aidan. He was great through one song, watching the kids, whilst Anth had to hold on to Aidan. Then Callum decided he wanted Mummy. The he decided to start crying. Loudly. During a sax-a-ma-phone solo some kid was playing. So we had to go outside. With all the stinky smokers, who can't stay inside watching their kids, because they have to get their cancer stick fix. By then I'd pretty much had enough. I was glad I did get to see Ethan, and get one decent photo of him! And I'm glad Anth got to enjoy the majority of the concert.

Ciao for Now, Not So Happy Little Vegemite Angry Dad.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

There's a happy little vegamite song?!?!? OMG. I really wanna here that now.

5:55 am  
Blogger Melissa said...

Yeah, I want to hear the song too. I never knew there was a song.

Thats sucks that he peed on you. I am laughing a bit on the inside, but I feel bad too.

9:46 am  
Blogger mollymcmo said...

oh man that sounds like an evening out with my family.

today after school i took my 3 to the store where we knocked down displays, had a temper tantrum on the floor, sat on loaves of bread, bit into a freakin cheese ball that i had to buy and ran away from me in the parking lot

work is much easier than this

i'm LMFAO at the pee, sorry have to laugh at your pain :)

m

10:49 am  
Blogger carrie said...

Sounds a lot like taking a 3 year-old to a movie (you spend your time chasing her up and down the aisle).

Dressing up as vegemite is the coolest thing I've seen in a children's program yet!

Carrie

1:34 pm  
Blogger Bec said...

there must be a version of the vegemite song on youtube by now, surely?

Failing that: I can at least offer the lyrics, but I suspect Angry Dad has them word perfect by now too!

"We're happy little Vegemites as bright as bright can be, We all enjoy our Vegemite for breakfast, lunch and tea, Our mummy says we're growing stronger each and every day, Because we LOVE our Vegemite, We all ADORE our Vegemite, it puts a ROSE in eveRY CHEEEEEEEEK."

My kids are all pretty standard variety, behaviour wise, but we always bolt from the concert as soon as our part is done too. Life is WAY too short to listen to other people's kids like that...

6:20 pm  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

what in the heck is vegamite? And, i HATE school functions. HATE them. UGH.

9:15 am  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

okay, I just read the links and I am still confused...why do the kids sing about something that you put on toast in school? I am VERY confused! :) It could be that I am just a dumb ass, in fact that's probably the case....

9:18 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home