Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Melbourne Cup Day (A Day Late)

Yesterday the race that stops the nation, the Melbourne Cup, was run. I had other things on my mind, so didn't post about it. Today, on reflection, and after seeing Aidan's photo's from his Cup day, I thought I'd write a few words.

The Melbourne Cup is a thoroughbred horse race. But it isn't just any horse race. Its run over close to two miles, and is the richest race in the country. The first place winner gets $3 million Aussie dollars, which is worth about the equivalent of a case of beer and a pizza in other countries. All up we Aussies gamble close to $120 million just on that one race. Nearly everyone bets on it. It is an international event, with horses from other countries competing, and this year two Japanese horses came in first and second. I, of course, bet, and even managed a winner, but still lost more than I won!

At Aidan's school, he had a special Cup day set of activities. Those that could got toy horses, and a specially laid out track was set up for the kids to run around. All the teachers cheered the kids on as they giddy up'd all over the place! Aidan was very proud to show us all his "news" after the event, with the pictures of him and his horse, and his special Cup Day crowns for being a winner. All the kids got them!

Ciao for Now, Giddy Up Angry Dad.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bec said...

I won nothing at all this year - a terrible disappointment after my grant total of $2.70 prize money last year...

Aidan's race day sounds like a lot of fun!

3:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home