Monday, January 30, 2006

The Karate Kid

About a fortnight ago The Karate Kid was on television. This was the original movie from 1984 with Ralph Machio and Pat Morita as Daniel and Mr Miyagi. We stumbled across it in the middle of a lazy weekend, and I relived my late teenage years when I thought I would become a Karate Man. I became about as Karate a Man as Ross Geller from Friends. "Kar-Ahh-Tay!".

The great thing is that Ethan was intrigued by it. He has since been walking around trying to punch in the Karate style, and today he had his crowning glory... on the toilet. Anth SMS'd me up to tell me that he was sitting there saying "Wax on. Wax off. " Now, if he could only do some of that movement when he manages to block up the toilet, leaving me to troll in behind him to clean up his mess. I don't, however, think that was what Mr Miyagi would have had in mind.

In relation to cleaning up after themselves, we heard a new parenting technique today for making kids keep things around the house tidy. One of Anth's friends suggested that what she does is to take all the kids toys which are left out, and put them in a plastic bag. She then tells the offending child that the toys will be put away for a few days. After the few days pass, she takes them out, and dumps them in the offending child's bedroom - with said child watching on. The child then has 30 minutes to put away the toys, with the ultimate punishment being that if they're not put away, they go to the Salvos. Suffice to say, she says she hasn't had to go to the Salvos yet, and the kids rooms are now nice and tidy.

1 Comments:

Blogger jon said...

I have a simular technique for getting them to clean up their toys. Only instead of putting them in a bag, I pile them up in the yard and set fire to them with gasoline, and then chop them up, still flaming, with the lawn mower.

Listen to me, acting like Mr. Tough Dad. Actually, every time I take toys away, I end up giving them right back because I'm such a wuss.

8:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home