Wednesday, July 12, 2006

God's Three O's..

A discussion with Ethan on the way home from Soccer training this evening.
Ethan: "Dad, God is watching us isn't he?"
Angry Dad: "Yep. Depends on what you believe."
Ethan: "God is watching me though isn't he?"
Angry Dad: "Yep."
Ethan: "Does he know my name?"
Angry Dad: "God knows everything."
Ethan: "Do all the Gods know everything?"
Angry Dad: "Well, there are lots of Gods. It depends on what you believe."

At this point, I didn't really want to go into a metaphysical discussion on deities. Suffice to say that Ethan is aware of the Christian God. I'm personally a bit of an Agnostic, which is not to say I'm an Atheist, just that I take certain theological claims with a grain of salt. So when I'm on my deathbed, you can be guaranteed I'll be saying "Save me Jee-bus".

The conversation continued.
Ethan: "So there are 100's and 1,000's of gods? They must know lots of people's names."
Angry Dad: "Well, your God knows everyone's name."
Ethan: "Everyone's?"
Angry Dad: "Yep. He's got the three O's."
Ethan: "The Three O's. What's that?"
Angry Dad: "He's Omniscient, Omnipresent, and Omnipotent."
Ethan: "What does that mean? Does it mean he knows everyone's name?"
Angry Dad: "It means He knows everything, He's Everywhere and He can do anything."
Ethan: "Oh."

A brief silence followed.
Ethan: "So he knows I'm Ethan."
Angry Dad: "Yep."
Ethan: "Does he know what I'm thinking?"
Angry Dad: "Yep."
Ethan: "Does he know what you're thinking?"
Angry Dad: "God I hope not."

Ciao for Now, I'm Not *Not* Licking Toads Angry Dad.

P.S. To understand this post's sign off, you have to go to the Simpson's Episode link embedded in the above post!

4 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

I knew the reference right away.....didn't need to look it up.

11:59 pm  
Blogger j.sterling said...

LMFAO @ your god i hope not! BWAHAHHAHAHA

9:08 am  
Blogger Wes said...

No I'm not a Christian Scientist at all! Agnostic means I don't really believe anything but I'm still open to suggestions!

10:53 pm  
Blogger Jenn said...

HAHAHAHA This is exactly what my conversations with my daughter is going to sound like when she asks me about stuff like that.

I love how he disreagards the 3 O's as if to say....Whatever Dad..... He knows MY NAME!!!!

5:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home