Sunday, July 09, 2006

Appreciation of Cleaning

I made the mistake of asking Anth how much she thought I contributed to domestic and household duties around the house. This came about as I was doing a questionnaire on Ethan, where one of the questions was about how much you felt you did to support the household. I answered, like any good male, that I did my fair share which was roughly half. Of course, when I asked Anth she said, maybe 70-30 or 80-20. Before all you guys start nodding sagely thinking, "Wow, she was good enough to recognise he does more than his share!" think again my male co-horts, because it was in her favour.

Like any good male who has his domain challenged, this has led me this evening to take on a number of domestic chores. The reality is, this might happen once every 3 months of so when my "clean gene" kicks in and I can't stand living in a child induced pig sty anymore. Tonight, I:
  • helped with the Roast Dinner
  • cleaned up all the dishes
  • stacked the dishwasher and set it off
  • cleaned all the pots, pans and utensils that can't go in the dishwasher
  • cleaned the kitchen table, sinks and workbenches
  • tidied up the kids play room
  • and cleaned the floors
This was all on top of mowing the lawns during the day, and taking a load of rubbish to the tip. Anth even said to me "You've done 100% today." The fact remains, when I think about it, I haven't really done that much. If we are just talking domestic duties, I don't really hold up the mustard. On top of that, after doing it for about 3 hours it is bloody hard work. No wonder I only really do it in 3 month spurts.

Ciao for Now, Cleaning Angry Dad.

6 Comments:

Blogger mollymcmo said...

YAY, you cleaned!
we try and clean around here, usually lasts about a couple hours at the most before child induced mess returns! LOL!

m

12:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you come visit me the next time that "clean gene" thing kicks in...

7:27 am  
Blogger Kristin said...

Cleaning sucks the big one... occasionally, tossing a match to the whole damn thing sounds like the way to go!

8:14 am  
Blogger Undercover Angel said...

Wow! The mere mention put you on a cleaning frenzy... I wish the same were true for Jake. I try to point out how I need more help around the house all the time - especially if we are lucky enough to have his children come and live with us - he still doesn't pull his weight. He does do the laundry - but that's all he does...

8:18 am  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

Yeah, I like the idea of putting a match to everything too. :) And good for you for helping. Chad will help if I ask him. But rarely does he ever just look at a household chore and go, Hmm, I'll think I'll muck out the bathroom today. To be fair though, he does do about 95% of the outside crap so I should do about 95% of the inside crap. And he helps out so much with the boys that I really can't complain. But, on occasion, I still do. :)

1:55 pm  
Blogger Jenn said...

I think it's kind of funny that you broke out:
- Helped with dinner and cleaned up after

into like 5 points. LOLOL

12:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home