Friday, February 03, 2006

Stating the Obvious

There are times in life where people state the obvious. When they do, no matter how right they may be, you may want to punch them in the head. The other thing that happens, is that after the event you always cant think of a witty and cynical response which you wish you had said. Take today for example.

There was a train strike in Brisbane today. The strike was over new collective bargaining agreements not being met. The details can be read at the Courier Mail web site, if you're so inclined. This affected me by causing road chaos, thus allowing me to make the easy decision to decide to work from home until after the morning peak. This was good, as I did my normal morning duties, then set up my computer at home, logged in and off I went. I left for work at around 10:00am, driving in as I normally do.

Today was also hot in Brisbane. With the strike, more people than normal had parked where I usually park. I therefore had further to walk. I have to walk up and over a slight hill near the Storey Bridge. Here, the path is split in two, there is a walkway for pedestrians, and a cycleway for cyclists, however next to the bike path is a grassed area close to a fenced off cliff area overlooking the river. Because it was hot, I was walking next to the cycleway under the shade of trees as I walked up the hill.

Of course, as I came up the hill, a cyclist rode down. Before he passed he yelled and pointed "The WALKWAY is over there."
In my head, my immediate reaction was "Go Feck Yourself."
This, of course, was callous and unfair. He was quite within his rights to say that, but he was stating the obvious. I know there is a walkway there. I also know I was on the cycleway. I know why I was on the cycleway. He can go feck himself.

This was also followed by those images like a movie which play in your mind. Me giving him a nice left hook as he rode passed. Me giving him a flying karate kick as he rode passed. Hell, when I discussed it at work someone suggested the good old tree branch through the spokes.

Ultimately I just looked at him. He rode passed. I walked on, still on the cycleway. This gives you some insight into why I am an Angry Dad (or maybe just an Angry person!)

Ciao for now, insightful Angry Dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home