Friday, April 07, 2006

Unintentional Attention Seeking Child

There are some days where I'm thankful its just not me. There's actually been a few of those lately. In our case, they've been to do with Aidan. I got another phone call today from Anth, where once it was complete, all I could think was "Glad it wasn't me." Don't get me wrong, I've been in almost exactly the same scenario, but usually it is just Aidan and I, not with Ethan and the baby as well.

Today, Aidan needed new shoes. Picture the scene from an outsider's perspective. Its Friday afternoon. Kids are off school. You're at the local shopping mall. You look into the busy shoe store. Oh look, there's a mum holding a baby, with her two other darling boys. How beautiful. Wait a minute, what's wrong with that older kid. He looks a bit weird. Oh that's ok, he's "special". What a strong mum she must be. I'll just stand here and watch.

Playing out before you as you watch is the following scene. Mother has baby as appendage stuck to hip. Store assistant comes over and offers to help. Eldest special child needs shoes. Everything is fine until he sits down. Other child is strangely quiet. Eldest child begins to fidget, and then to scream as new shoes are fitted. Eldest child begins dry-retching at shop assistant. Everyone in the shop stops what they're doing. Everyone in the shop stares. Eldest child thrashes around so much that no full fitting can be done. Mother doesn't reneg, but quickly makes purchase, and dashes out to ring her husband.

The phone call I got mirrored the above scene, punctured with lines such as "I am never taking him shopping again." As I said, I'm glad its just not me. Aidan doesn't do it intentionally, but that doesn't make it any easier to cope with.

Ciao for Now, Just Not Me Angry Dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home