Saturday, April 08, 2006

Unintentional Attention Seeking Child - Part II

After yesterday's post, you'd think I wouldn't make the mistake of taking Aidan to the shops today. I did. I also neglected to mention part of the deal for getting new shoes yesterday for Aidan was that if he was a good boy, he would get to go to K-Mart and get a "Blues Clues" video or DVD. He wasn't yesterday, so no Blue's Clues.

Therefore, when Aidan, Callum and I went to the Chermside shopping mall today, Aidan began asking about getting a DVD. Of course, I should have realised that Blue's Clues must not be on high rotation. I think that after Steve left, it hasn't been as popular with Joe as the main character. I believe it is still running. Our main interaction has been via DVDs and Videos. Of course, when we went to both K-Mart and Target, neither had anything new. The only DVD available was "Get to know Joe" which we already have.

Suffice to say, when I couldn't find anything, Aidan went into hysterics. As we walked out of the store he screamed and cried about how he wanted Blue's Clues. Everyone, and I mean everyone, stared as I dragged him, pushing Callum in the pram, through Target. I've found the best form of defence to this is to go completely placid, guide the boy out of the situation with as little force as possible, and apply a squeezing hand motion when Aidan puts his fingers into his mouth to begin his Tourette like screaming. He even tried the fake vomitting trick with me, but a quick "Don't!" managed to stop that little treat. You have no idea how embarrassing this can be, however, you get over it pretty quick. You don't have much choice.

One of the frustrating things with Aidan is once you get out of the situation which sets him off, he acts like nothing has happened. I should be thankful. If he continued it all the time I'd really go off my tree!

Ciao for Now, Foolish Shopper Angry Dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home