Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Future

As I arrived home this evening I was greeted by Ethan at the front door.

"Dad, am I the future? "
"You could be the future. "
"Are you the future?"
"Sure. "
"What is the future?"
"The future is whatever you make it."

At this point, I should have quoted Doc Brown from Back to the Future III and added "So make it a good one!"

Who knows what they're kids are going to be. Hopefully they'll follow the steps of their father, a shallow man, a Simpson's loving man, a man who likes nothing better than to sit on the recliner and watch movies at night eating chocolate. And at times, one can only hope they will be prone to fits of selfish denial, thus earning their rightful heritage as Angry Men! Hopefully they'll also have a sly sense of humour.

But still, you can't but enjoy the optimism of youth when the closing comment from your son on this conversation is:

"When I grow up, I want to be the future Dad."

Ciao for Now, here's lookin' at you kid Angry Dad.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

What a great story. They are our future. We are their's.

Lisa

6:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was wonderful. And if you weren't already married to the lovely Anth I would grab you for myself...

7:50 am  
Blogger LBA said...

Oh my Goodness - you made me choke up a bit there !

( and nothing wrong with a bit o' tv-watching sloth anyway ;)

8:57 pm  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Too cool....when my nephew was young - he wanted to be a gas station attendant (and they don't even have those anymore), Char a real estate agent, and Toby - well at this point he doesn't know....

10:48 pm  
Blogger carrie said...

Oh, that was very sweet!! They are the future (kinda reminds me of a Whitney Houston song from the 80's--god, did I just say that?).

Carrie

6:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home