Saturday, August 26, 2006

Jammin' Hands

Today, as Callum decided to have an afternoon kip out the back, I decided to have one with him. We were awoken to Aidan telling us he wanted to go outside, rapidly followed by Ethan telling us how hungry he was. Ethan is able to get his own food, and he had foraged around the pantry and discovered a Chupa-Chup. He asked if he could have it, and I told him he could. He then went out of view into the kitchen, followed by Aidan.

I have no doubt that Aidan was being annoying, and he probably wanted a chupa-chup as well, but the next thing I heard was a drawer slam, and then a terrible wail from Aidan. He came running in, to me immediately complaining that his hand was hurt and Ethan was naughty. I checked his hands, which had gone bright red, and then went and got an ice pack to put on it. During this process, I also asked Ethan what he was doing. Remember, that waking me up is like waking up a bear from winter slumber.
"Aidan was annoying me. He kept following me."
My voice rising: "Did you close the drawer on his fingers?"
"Yes. He was following me."
My anger rising: "That's naughty, do you know you hurt him?"
"Yes, but he wanted my chupa-chup."
Me, roaring: "Well, Bad Luck. Put the chupa-chup in the bin now. You're not having it."
"But Dad..."
Me, exploding: "Bin! Now!!"

Ethan's tears followed. Aidan was still crying. Callum started crying. My throat hurt. It was all bad, and my true Angry Dad parenting skills shone out in this instance. *Sigh*.

Ciao for Now, True Angry Dad.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. Hope the little ones fingers are o.k.?

We have loads of "accidental" injuries. Just yesterday my 11 year old daughter "accidentally" whacked her brother with the broom. She was angry because I had made her re-sweep the floor due to a poor inital attempt. He happened to get in her way....Oh, the screaming was dreadful. From him and then from me.

11:21 pm  
Blogger carrie said...

Oh I can feel the brotherly love! We have lots of that too!

By the way, I've tried commenting on your last few posts, and for some reason it redirects me each time. But, I've enjoyed those too!

Carrie

3:52 am  
Blogger LBA said...

I'm with you. Chuppa-chucked.

No rewards for slamming fingers, kiddo, and lollies rot your teeth anyway -
you did him a favour ;)

7:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home