Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Brain Man

I've written about savants before and it what has always struck me is the amazing power of the brain as exhibited by these people. Tonight on Catalyst there was a story on the Wonders of the Brain, where they tracked a British autistic savant called Daniel Tammet. The unique difference with David and his abilities, which are predominantly in the mathematical and linguistics areas, is that he is able to describe how he is able to do what he does. He describes experiencing the numbers as colours or sensations, which is documented as synesthesia.

Part of what excites me about these people is purely selfish. Aidan had a brain seizure at 18 months old. His brain has recovered to some degree, although we believe he will always need special assistance. He hasn't exhibited any of these types of enhanced brain function, but Aidan was never diagnosed as autistic. If, through these people, we can learn more about the brain function, and its ability to repair then their may be opportunities to figure out ways to help Aidan's brain develop more.

In the years after Aidan's seizure, he has had MRI scans done on his brain. Although I don't profess to know how to analyse any of the results, our doctors have told us that they can see where the trauma occurred in Aidan's brain, but that the brain isn't dead in those areas. There is activity where the brain is repairing itself. If we can find ways and means of helping it repair faster, then it can only be a good thing. This is also why I'm a proponent of stem cell research. Aidan is away from home on camp this evening, and I also think part of the reason why I'm writing about this is because I miss him. He's our little bRain Man!

Ciao for Now, Missing Aidan Angry Dad.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Awwwww I'm sure he misses you guys too. But he's probably having fun.

I agree with you on the stem cell research, and can't think of one reason why it shouldn't be done and a million reasons why it should.

11:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So where is wee Aidan? Your interest in stem cell research mirrors mine. If it can be used to understand the brain and its functioning, or to cure terminal illnesses that affect my family such as alzheimers and parkinsons, than I'm all for it.

2:50 am  
Blogger Wes said...

Aidan was at a camp at his special school! And by all accounts he had a great time!!!

11:30 pm  
Blogger carrie said...

Amazing! Here's hoping that more research can be done so that a variety of mysteries of the brain can be solved.

I am still trying to figure out how my husband and son "see" numbers and equations. I am obviously not allowed into that area of my brain!

Carrie

8:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home