Monday, September 11, 2006

Oh, the rain...

Today it rained. Nice rain, with big drops. We also got some on the weekend as well. It doesn't appear to have made a dent on our rain water reserves though. Queensland is in the midst of the worst drought on record. Water Forever, are reporting that our dams are only just above 27% capacity, as we're heading into Spring. If we don't get significant rain, which isn't predicted, then we'll move on to level 4 water restrictions. Some parts of Queensland are already at level 5, which basically means don't water your garden, put water in your pool, have long showers, wash the car. Everything is aimed at using water wisely.

Al Gore was on a local TV show tonight spruiking his movie, An Inconvenient Truth. I firmly believe that we are in the midst of climate change, and that we need to change our behaviours on a global scale to facilitate a future for our children. Will I see the movie? Maybe, maybe not. I prefer stuff like Clerks II, which is crass and funny, and the only mention of gaseous clouds would have been Randal commenting on Dante's behind. I'm not that much of an intellectual!

So back to the rain. Because it rains so infrequently, I can't bring myself to by an expensive umbrella. So instead, we have a collection of $2 brolleys. The one I normally use, after being turned inside out, finally gave out on me the other day. Therefore, today I swapped it for one Callum had been playing with. This morning, as I got out of the car for the walk to work, I opened it up and "Schmazo!" (what a cool expressive word!) the top popped off the umbrella, and I was left to try to hold a crappy sheet of plastic and half a metal frame as my only protection from the elements. Didn't work too well.

Ciao for Now, Drowned Rat Angry Dad.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

First of all - I LOVE that word - Schmazo - and I am sooo totally stealing that from you....hehe

Yeah on the rain....I know you need more....perhaps we should do a little rain dance??

1:10 am  
Blogger Jenn said...

All you need is Mike and I to visit and the rain will fall in buckets! We have that effect.....

1:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home