Saturday, September 02, 2006

Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree

This afternoon I took Callum, Ethan and Aidan down to the park to have a kick of the soccer ball. We dragged Wednesday along with us. We spent a while playing basketball with the soccer ball, and then went to the playground where I gave Callum his first swing with me. He freaked me out by leaning backwards for most of it, so he pretty much swang like he was a plank. At least he was happy. Even Wednesday had fun sniffing other dog's butts.

On the way home three kookaburra's flew into a gum tree at the end of the street, and perched themselves on the top branches. Straight away they started to do their laughing call. I called to the boys, "Look! Kookaburras! See Them?" Callum couldn't have given a rats. Ethan was too busy trying to drag Wednesday up the street to the house, but Aidan turned to me and started singing.
"Kookaburra sits in the old gummm tree.
Merry Merry bird and he goes to schoool."

This is a well known Australian nursery rhyme. When quizzed, Aidan told me that he sang it at school. I was impressed at how well he knew it, as although the words weren't quite right, he got the tune. The real words are:
"Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Merry, merry king of the bush is he
Laugh, Kookaburra! Laugh! Kookaburra!
Gay your life must be" by Marion Sinclair

Ciao for Now, Kookaburra Laughing Angry Dad.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Not only do I know that song (and will now be hummming it all day) but, as a child, I always imagined a tree full of Juicy Fruit Gum.

1:18 am  
Blogger carrie said...

Thank you, we were looking at those birds at the zoo last week, trying to remember the words to that song! If only I had your post by my side...

4:44 am  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Oh great - now I am gonna be singing this allllll day......I know this little ditty....

11:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home