Thursday, August 31, 2006

So cute, but such a pain!


Callum is going through a phase of not wanting to go to bed, so he does things of an evening to try to keep himself awake and to make it hard to get him into his cot. His first stalling technique comes with his bottle. It used to be that he'd take his bottle, go into milk induced stupor, and glide off to sleep. This was when he was at his cutest, and it was really nice to have him lie there and fall asleep in your arms.

Not anymore. Now, he demands his bottle, and cries until it comes. When you get it there, he guts-ache's at you until its in his hot little hands, and won't stop griping until the teat hits his lips. From there, its the whole "suck it down as fast as you can" approach to drinking. He's going to easily be able to do a yard glass when he turns 18. The thing is, because he's concentrating so hard on getting the fluid into his tummy, once he finishes he's still wide awake.

So then he sits up, burps, and begins climbing all over you. With me, the main aims are to steal the remote control, or to rip my glasses off my head. God forbid if I try to settle him by lying him on my chest anymore. That's just a sign to let him get his pinch fingers out and rip the few remaining chest hairs off my chest. If Anth happens to be sitting next to me on the other recliner, then there's a whole new level of fun in climbing between the two chairs, regardless of the gap. This could go on all night, interspersed with bouts of tired crying. Ultimately, we end up just putting him to bed. Anth seems to have a more delicate touch than me, and usually he will fall straight to sleep.

Ciao for Now, Hairless Chest Angry Dad.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pollyanna said...

Ah yes, Callum belongs to the cult that my children founded, "The Anti-Sleepites". I will let you know as soon as I get the support group going for the family members who have to live with wee ones who have been brainwashed by this horrible cult! :)

1:14 am  
Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

We had that same phase! I hate that I can't hold and rock my son to sleep. Ha ha ha ha. Laughter at the thought of holding him still on my lap or anywhere. I think it's a.) he doesn't want to be constrained, and b.)doesn't want to sit still.

I feel your pain.

Lisa

9:08 am  
Blogger LBA said...

ha ! so relate ( except I don't have chest hair, which is good, as it's unbecoming on a woman ;)

We just let our blue-arsed-fly buzz around til he ( thankfully ) collapses.

Such bad parents are we.

11:28 pm  
Blogger mollymcmo said...

i've been letting our little one cry every once in awhile, only lasts 15min. i think now that she's walking all over she's tiring herself out more! thank god!

she's been sucking back her bottles like no tomorrow too lately.

m

9:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home